Can this turntable be easily fixed?
Oct 6, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
It's a Sansui SR-2050C. The owner says that it plays perceptibly slow. The price is very good. If it's something as simple as putting a new belt on it and adjusting something it would be a steal. I'm also fairly handy with a soldering iron, but if it's something like a wornout motor I don't want to mess with it. I'm not very familiar with turntables, but I assume they all have a trim pot somewhere to adjust the platter speed, right?

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
It's a Sansui SR-2050C. The owner says that it plays perceptibly slow. The price is very good. If it's something as simple as putting a new belt on it and adjusting something it would be a steal. I'm also fairly handy with a soldering iron, but if it's something like a wornout motor I don't want to mess with it. I'm not very familiar with turntables, but I assume they all have a trim pot somewhere to adjust the platter speed, right?

I'm sure Todd can give you more detailed info, but it is most likely a belt replacement issue. I see a belt for this TT available on one site for $25. I don't know what you mean by a "trim pot" but in my experience such a feature is unlikely. It either goes 33.3 or it goes 45. Not familiar with TTs of this vintage and cost that would have fine adjustments beyond that. Good luck.

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 7
I suppose that with the correct size pulleys and using a mains powered AC motor you could hit the desired speed, but I assumed there would be a mechanism somewhere to fine-adjust the platter speed. Perhaps I'm wrong and these things are simpler than I thought.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 7
On direct-drive turntables there are pitch adjustments which slow and speed up the motor, but it's mainly implemented by DJs for beat-matching. There are nice utilities on some of the higher end Technics tables that give you the ability to know if your turntable's motor is spinning at the proper speed, giving you nice guidling, bright-red lights.

On the turntable you're inquring about, it either goes the proper speed, or it doesn't. There is normally a pot to adjust whether you want 33 RPM or 45RPM. Sometimes you have to actually physically move the belt into a different place on the pully system. But there's no way to fix the speed without a working belt and a well-oiled motor.

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Trains are bad (really!),
you are being given a lot of in-accurate advice.

I don't know this particular deck but here are the facts.

Trim pots - will only be found on direct drive decks and they are not there for DJs, they are there to make sure that the platter is revolving at an accurate speed.

Only the very best (and most expensive decks) belt drives will play at or near correct speeds but because of the technology involved will be time smeared in contrast to DDs and idler drives.

Before getting into vinyl - hold back and research on vinyl sites, ask questions (on those sites) and when you have a really good idea of what constitutes a good deck/arm/cartridge, then look for s/hand bargains, for the deck and arm - act in haste, repent at leisure and that means your bank account takes a hammering.

It does'nt take a lot of money to acheive a really good 'vinyl sound', if you buy sensibly.

Stuart

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I actually skipped out on the broken Sansui and bought a Marantz 6100 at a pretty reasonable price. My first choice was for a technics or one of the old Pioneer pl-530 direct drive tables because direct drive really appealed to me. However, it seems finding one in good condition at a price I can afford is not something I want to wait around for, so I hope this Marantz does a decent job (any thoughts?). I haven't taken delivery yet so I don't know a lot of details, but I'm also not unbelievably discriminating. I mean, I don't even know what vinyl sounds like normally at this point, so it's not like I could have developed an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back