Can someone in New York open my sr60s?
Feb 13, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Use a hair dryer, don't concentrate it in one area though, move around the cup and heat it evenly. That should loosen the glue up so you can pull them apart. 

How were you 'steaming them'?

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 10
If it's the SR60 (like in your post title) and not the SR60i, you should be able to snap the old glue by putting a smooth spoon handle around the edge of the cups and gently forcing them apart by swivelling the spoon.
That is the safest way, but doesn't work well on the new 'i' models as the glue bond isn't as brittle as the old ones. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 10
  Use a hair dryer, don't concentrate it in one area though, move around the cup and heat it evenly. That should loosen the glue up so you can pull them apart. 

How were you 'steaming them'?

Near-boiling water in a sheet pan, placing the cups in that.  I was prying a knife in the crack and it was just damaging the plastic.  I have ones that look like these: http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ee/ee73b757_25-unhooked.jpg

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 10
  If it's the SR60 (like in your post title) and not the SR60i, you should be able to snap the old glue by putting a smooth spoon handle around the edge of the cups and gently forcing them apart by swivelling the spoon.
That is the safest way, but doesn't work well on the new 'i' models as the glue bond isn't as brittle as the old ones. 

I have ones that look like these:http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ee/ee73b757_25-unhooked.jpg

They are from 2011 or before.  Can a spoon handle fit in that crack?  I tried using a mini flat-head screwdriver (for glasses) and it couldn't pry them open.

Feb 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 10
(I just nabbed this image from the interwebz somewhere.)
This is where the spoon handle goes

start with a small teaspoon, where the neck is very thin. Then work your way up.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 10
Ya, pretty much.

What you've been doing is trying to pop out the driver from the driver housing, which is often called 'full driver liberation' - which is usually an irreversible destructive method used by modders to put the driver into a fully wooden housing.
This (usually) destroys the plastic driver housing cup in the process.
Most of the wooden cup mods just cover up the plastic driver housing, because most modders don't wish to do a full driver liberation.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 10
Nah, it's good to leave up valuable information like this, so at least wise people can learn from the mistakes of others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back