Can Laptop damage my Headphone?
Jun 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Son Gokou

New Head-Fier
I was trying to watch a Youtube video, a music video and I keep turning the volume control of my laptop at max volume. I can't hear any sound until its near the max volume and that's when realized that I had plugged in my headphone and that's why I can't hear sound from my speakers.

Now I'm worried if I damaged my headphones or not. Does Laptops have enough Voltages, Amps , ohm, DBs, watts or whatever terminology there is to blow my headphone?

I got a full size headphone btw.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Gokou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now I'm worried if I damaged my headphones or not. Does Laptops have enough Voltages, Amps , ohm, DBs, watts or whatever terminology there is to blow my headphone?

Probably not, although it would be easier to tell for sure if you told what model it actually is, rather than just "full size". But most full size headphones can handle at least 100 mW, while even good onboard audio can barely manage close to that much power into 16 ohms, some worse ones cannot even output more than 10 mW into any impedance.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 9
i would suspect that running a bad track that has a lot of clipping would give a slightly higher chance of damaging the headphones,
but then again i highly doubt that it would damage the headphone. listen to your headphones and play a few tracks, if they do not form static when you play them means they're still ok

but now i want to ask: is it possible to damage usb powered portable speakers (Sonic gear Xenon portable speakers) by maxing the volume, and +12db to 100hz and below (a lot of bass distortion is hered)

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Probably not, although it would be easier to tell for sure if you told what model it actually is, rather than just "full size". But most full size headphones can handle at least 100 mW, while even good onboard audio can barely manage close to that much power into 16 ohms, some worse ones cannot even output more than 10 mW into any impedance.

Thanks for your reply. I have the MDR-Z1000 headphone. My laptop is Acer 4530. Does it have enough power to damage my headphone? I cant find the specs of the soundcard of my laptop on the Acer website...

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your reply. I have the MDR-Z1000 headphone. My laptop is Acer 4530. Does it have enough power to damage my headphone? I cant find the specs of the soundcard of my laptop on the Acer website...

MDR-Z1000 Power Handling Capacity : 4000 mW

No, your headphones are fine.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 9
can a laptop destroy a usb powered portable speaker?

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 9
Laptop headphone out churns out about 5V peak-to-peak (~1.7V rms).
Given the power handling capacity of your headphones, they should be okay.

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 9
can a laptop destroy a usb powered portable speaker?

If it's poorly designed and played at full blast for some time, then maybe. Your first sign of danger would be the whole sound going to poop because of clipping (as opposed to sounding like poop to begin with, which it likely already did).

If you're listening to portable audio and it's not through a headphone then a 30$ walmart battery-powered boombox will likely kill any USB-powered contraption.

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 9
my portable speakers are quite wierd, their bass sounds smooth at very low volume, and slightly distorted at low volume (assuming i put -50db to 500hz - 16000hz) sounds the same till high volume, then only at very high volume obvious clipping is hered, so is it damaging the speaker at the slightly distorted low volume part? or only at the very much louder obvious clipping part? (usb power cable is plugged straight into the laptop)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back