Can I (safely) add an amp between my phone and surround sound system?
Mar 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chibru1

New Head-Fier
Hello all! So I have a surround sound system in my bedroom that was originally for a computer. As of recent, I connect my iphone directly to the system via standard 3.5 to 3.5 cable through my headphone Jack. The surround sound system has a headphone jack input in the subwoofer and all of the surrounding speakers plug into the subwoofer as well. So clearly there must be an internal amplifier to run the sub and speakers. Will I risk damaging anything if a connect, say an e11 or any other headphone amp, in between my iphone and sound system? I currently find I have to crank the volume on my phone and on the system to get things rockin. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 7
It might help to know the make and model of the speaker system?

If you iPhone has an LOD port, get an LOD cable, it will connect the iPhone's LOD port to the 3.5mm jack on the speaker system.
The LOD cable will deliver a slightly cleaner audio signal to the speakers.
FiiO sells these type of cables and there are other brands.
This cable would also be a better way to connect the iPhone to the E11.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply! So went and pick up an LOD cable and it did (slightly) improve the volume issue. So the system I have is a Logitech x540 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JJM8XE/ref=aw_d_dsc_electronics )
I have also ordered an e6 as well as a cmoybb amplifier for my headphones. Will I risk burning up the surround sound systems built in amp if I connect either of these amps to it? Or will it improve sound quality over all? Thanks again.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the reply! So went and pick up an LOD cable and it did (slightly) improve the volume issue. So the system I have is a Logitech x540 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JJM8XE/ref=aw_d_dsc_electronics )
I have also ordered an e6 as well as a cmoybb amplifier for my headphones. Will I risk burning up the surround sound systems built in amp if I connect either of these amps to it? Or will it improve sound quality over all? Thanks again.

I would "assume" the add-on amplifier will improve the loudness, as long as the current problem is a weak output from your source (iPhone)..

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Hello all! So I have a surround sound system in my bedroom that was originally for a computer. As of recent, I connect my iphone directly to the system via standard 3.5 to 3.5 cable through my headphone Jack. The surround sound system has a headphone jack input in the subwoofer and all of the surrounding speakers plug into the subwoofer as well. So clearly there must be an internal amplifier to run the sub and speakers. Will I risk damaging anything if a connect, say an e11 or any other headphone amp, in between my iphone and sound system? I currently find I have to crank the volume on my phone and on the system to get things rockin. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I have my Fiio E17 between my gaming PC and a pair of powered M-AUDIO AV40 speakers, no problem. The E17 is both a DAC/AMP and I'm using the headphone out to connect to my speakers, via 3.5mm jack input.  I think it's been at least 2 years now without any problems at all.

Just bear in mind that it's not the most ideal setup because of the 2 amps involved (1 amp in the E17 and another amp in the powered speakers).  You'd then be double amping, which is an SQ no-no.  I don't mind so much for my PC audio, as the resulting sound is more than acceptable. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Thank you both for your input! My amps came yesterday and I have had no mechanical issues with the double amplification. Sound quality isn't the best but it gets the job done. Cheers!

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Chances are you'll end up clipping the amp on the speakers and it'll sound crap. If you don't have enough volume when you turn your phone to max volume and plug into the speakers then the amp in the speakers isn't powerful enough or the speakers aren't very efficient. The solution to that is getting better speakers, not double amping and clipping the speaker amp which could cause damage to the speakers in the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back