Can I continue to use my headphones when I receive an implantable cardiac defibrillator?
Nov 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kensclark15

New Head-Fier
I have the Ultrasone HFI 580 which supposedly conforms to the ULE standards. I might even get a subcutaneous one so I don't know. I have heard that you need to keep them 1.2 inches away from the ICD? I might buy headphones in the future so what are some good ones that I can use with the ICD?

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 4
You should always consult your doctor, but there are a couple of websites and studies, like:

http://www.heartrhythmjournal.com/article/S1547-5271%2809%2900740-1/abstract

I just googled for implantable cardiac device and magnetic fields or headphones.

Btw, thinking of Beyerdynamic's Tesla headphones: 1 tesla = 10,000 gauss! The question of course is how big the magnetic field is a few cm away from the drivers. But since people have reported that some of those headphones work like magnets...
>10 gauss 2 cm away from the headphone were enough in the above study to cause problem in 30% of patients, but it seems only when the headphone was placed on the chest (hanging around the neck could be close enough to cause problems?).

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 4
A LCD monitor will likely emit a stronger magnetic field than the ultrasones because of the mu shielding technology.

According to beyerdynamic, the magnetic field emittet from the tesla driver is rather small as the aim is to use as much as the magnetic field as possible for the voicecoil/driver. Dunno. Oth I have seen someone put the beyer t1 close to an old school television. It looked quite beautiful.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 4
My father and father in-law both have had an ICD implanted. I've not heard anything about headphone cautions. I know my dad has used them. Cautions against the use of chainsaws or working on engines have been mentioned. Certainly if you have concerns ask one of the doctors. Do take care, and I hope that all goes well. The ICD along with some drugs seem to do the trick for both guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back