Can equalizing an earpiece / headphone wrong ruin piece?
Mar 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 4
Yes.

If the headphone/earbud/IEM you're equalizing is sensitive and you overdrive them at some frequency, you can blow out the driver or break it's suspension, yes. For instance if you tried to up the bass on headphones that don't have too much of it anyway, and didn't get more bass as you wished but kept raising the equalizer up, it will eventually break out of physical strain, or burn out the coils. Foobar2000 goes up to +20dB, that is easily enough to break a headphone if the volume accidentally goes way too high.

A distorting amplifier can break tweeters, I'm sure distorting amplifiers can blow a headphone driver too if you try some ludicrous equalizing.

Better be careful and always equalize with your headphones on at comfortable listening levels.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 4
yeah accidently put 440 and 880hz up by 5 db when I was only supposed to bring it up by 1 o.o...........

it was only for like 3 seconds when I started to notice hollow sounds

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 4
That shouldn't break anything unless some sort of a really loud click or pop has happened, some equalizers have done that to me in the past. But I doubt anything is broken, 5dB isn't huge in the end. Try another source, if it sounds ok you have weird settings going on, and should try resetting the player you did that in. If it's broken, then well, something broke it.

Hope you didn't ruin anything expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back