Can burn-in damage cans?
Jan 31, 2002 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
If you're doing really long frequency sweeps, pink/brown/white noise, etc, aren't you stressing your headphones??

Does this shorten the life of them? Is this whole burn in thing a big ploy to shorten the life of phones and make us go out and buy more?

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 7
yeah, burning in your cans can damage them if you have the volume up too loud.

Sure, burning in your cans does stress them, but no, it shouldn't shorten the lifespan of your cans. I've had MDR-V6s for over a decade, my father has had his Pro 4AAs for nearly 20 years...

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't keep the volume loud . . . the way my dad explained it to me is that if you stress em too much, the hangings might get damaged.
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 7
I think break in for dynamic speakers and headphones is necessary.

When I got new speakers, I called the president of the company, and asked his opinion. He said "as long as there is cone movement", you are breaking them in.

I personally think you should break things in with what you are going to listen too, if possible. I am not in favor of sustained single tones.

When I break in a non-source item, like my headphones, I switch to Cable TV Music and let it play for hours, with no wear and tear on my CD or MD player.

If I was going to use a CD player to break phones in, I would use a cheap portable with AC power adaptor, and a CD of SURF noise or RAIN.

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

? Is this whole burn in thing a big ploy to shorten the life of phones and make us go out and buy more?

Are these multiple "burn-in" threads a ploy to drive us mad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back