Can anyone recommend Big Bands?
Jan 11, 2002 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
My Dad used to listen to Glen Gray doing Big Bands stuff all the time. It was great on vinyl.

What's out there that's good quality on CD for this genre?

Thanks in advance.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Buddy & Soul - The Buddy Rich Big Band is an enjoyable album. It's a remaster of a live show, though, so the recording isn't too even. That's not to say it isn't a fun album.

That said, anybody have a suggestion of where to start with the Mingus Big Band?

Jan 11, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 9
I can't speak to recording quality, but musically here are some great big bands to look for are:
  1. Early Maynard Ferguson (the MF Horn series)
  2. Stan Kenton - City of Glass and This Modern World
  3. Thad Jones and Mel Lewis Big Band
  4. Billy Cobham
  5. Don Ellis (very different, very good)
  6. Matrix (Jazz band from the late 70s, never have found any of their stuff on CD)
  7. Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabakin Big Band
  8. Woody Herman and His Thundering Herd
  9. Chuck Mangione (Children of Sanchez, Land of Make Believe)

Jan 11, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 9
A few great ones have been mentioned. There are also some of the older 'classic' big bands, like the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

If you want some "modern" big band stuff, try the Brian Setzer Orchestra -- some really fun stuff!

Jan 11, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Time/Life put out a 5 album set of great old big band tunes redone by a college jazz band (I cannot remember what college) and it included stuff by Glenn Miller, Harry James, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey to name a few.

Jan 12, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 9
The Max Weinberg 7

Jan 14, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 9
If you like SWING, I can recommend "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby", by the J Street Jumpers. Yeah, that's the title and name!

Audiophile quality recording (it's newer). By Mapleshade Records.
Mapleshade Records website

I LOVE this album! Many vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back