Can an 0404 replace my Audigy 2?
Dec 4, 2004 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dwin902

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to purchase an 0404, and I need some advice on whether I really need to keep the Audigy 2 ZS that I currently own. Can PowerDVD/WinDVD decode Dolby Digital and DTS with software only so that I can use the 0404 exclusively? I'm not too worried about game compatibility right now, as I've been using the kx drivers (which offer only EAX 1.0 support) with no problems in Far Cry, Doom 3, HL2, etc. I just don't want to fool with making sure the drivers are set up exactly right, and I don't want to stop using WMP to play my music (all my CDs are ripped to WMA lossless). I would appreciate any input from people who use their EMU cards in similar capacities. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwin902
Can PowerDVD/WinDVD decode Dolby Digital and DTS with software only so that I can use the 0404 exclusively?

I just don't want to fool with making sure the drivers are set up exactly right,

and I don't want to stop using WMP to play my music

PowerDVD and WinDVD have DD and DTS decoders independant of soundcard.

If you don't want to fool around with drivers, you're going to have to since the emu control panel is complicated.

That said, using WMP, you are not getting bit perfect playback as it's going though the windows mixer (kmixer)

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 12
So I shouldn't be using WMP? I'm playing lossless files. Is this not giving me highest quality playback? I thought bit-perfect had to do with the card, not software.

BTW, I'm not averse to learning the EMU driver setup, but I don't want to have nightmares with driver or IRQ conflicts because I have two cards. I'm hoping I can just take the Audigy out and be fine, but we'll see.

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Are you planning to use the audigy in the system with the 0404? Or are you just worried about drivers remnants from the audigy causing problems with your system...

Dec 4, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwin902
So I shouldn't be using WMP? I'm playing lossless files. Is this not giving me highest quality playback? I thought bit-perfect had to do with the card, not software.

BTW, I'm not averse to learning the EMU driver setup, but I don't want to have nightmares with driver or IRQ conflicts because I have two cards. I'm hoping I can just take the Audigy out and be fine, but we'll see.

Ah your talking about driver / hardware installation, I thought you were talking about just using the card once it's installed. My confusion.

Bit perfect is about hardware, drivers, and software.

Audigy = not bit perfect in hardware

emu = bit perfect in hardware and you must use kernel streaming or ASIO music software to bypass the windows mixer.

RME = bit perfect in hardware and drivers bypass windows kmixer (so it wouldn't matter which software you use. this is best for WMP and iTunes users since they use DirectSound which goes through windows )

Dec 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 12
So do you know of a way to use kernel streaming with WMP? I'm sorry to trouble you about this, but I really want the best sound quality but don't want to have to rip all my CDs again to a different format and then get used to another player. Thanks.

Dec 5, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 12
I just got an EMU0404 and I run it with my Audigy2 ZS and I can't recall ever being as happy as I am now. This has got the be THE best decision I've made for my pc to this day and I do tons of upgrading constantly.

I love this card so much, if I was president I'd require one in every PC.

Dec 5, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Oh great! Thanks so much. I think I'll go download it right now and take a look.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just downloaded the "normal" version and tried to playback one of my files. It didn't work. Should I be using the "special" version instead?

EDIT2: After some googling and some assistance from a thread over at Hydrogenaudio, I've successfully imported all my WMAs to foobar and they play just fine. Thanks guys.

EDIT3: How do I enable kernel streaming? I can't seem to make it work.

EDIT4: I've enabled it now, and sound levels are up (I had to turn the volume down). I'm confused though. I thought KS bypassed the Windows volume control. Mine still works even when KS is enabled. It sounds good though, maybe a bit better than before. (This is the last Edit, I promise
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 12
if only outputting to two channels does the audigy provide a performance advantage over the emu in games?

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 12
I replaced my audigy 2 with an emu0404. only one time did I have a problem with it in a game. the sound cut out after a few minutes, but that hasn't happened to me since. definitely a good decision, as everything sounds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back