Cambridge CXA 60 Integrated Problems:
May 28, 2023 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

2bxfile

100+ Head-Fier
Hello: Since this amp is part of my computer audio set up, I thought I might ask for some help here and if this is not the place, please let me know.

Hello: I'm hoping someone might have an idea or have heard of the symptoms I'm having with my amp and any ideas for a solution. I'll describe my issues:

The problem that I have with it is that it won't shut down with the first attempt. Also with the first attempt, it will switch (all on its own) to another digital display on the front panel, say D3 to D2 at which point I have to place it back to D2 or there is no audio. It's gets to the point that when I turn it on it will immediately shut down all on its own. It is at that juncture that I have to unplug it for about 15 minutes which helps for a couple of days - that was until recently. I've done the factory reset a number of times but to no avail. The other day I was listening to a track and my amp just shut itself off all of its own accord. I thought the hydro had gone out. My computer and screen, plugged into the same outlet, were not affected. I own two of its remotes and it acts this way with both. I seem to get more normality with it when I manually turn it off and on but now even this is not giving me any days of normal.

Note: I've had it serviced for this problem at an authorized center but they could not find the problem.

Thank you

May 28, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 10
Does it still do it if you disconnect the speakers?

May 29, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 10
I've read about lots of similar issues around these particular amps--in some cases, it seems the amp is going into protection. I'd try disconnecting the speakers and seeing if it still immediately/occasionally shuts down. Another thing to try would be another input--so if you're using coax, try optical.

May 29, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 10
I've read about lots of similar issues around these particular amps--in some cases, it seems the amp is going into protection. I'd try disconnecting the speakers and seeing if it still immediately/occasionally shuts down. Another thing to try would be another input--so if you're using coax, try optical.

Thank you msing: It could take a while for my amp to show its fault - it sometimes does. Then I'd have no sound until then and no music listening because my speakers would be unplugged. If I unplug my speakers and artificially turn the unit on and off it might not react to forcing the issue.

Question: if this method does solve the problem, then what problem did this indicate.

p.s. you said that you've read similar issues with "this type of amp", do you mean an integrated with digital inputs? Or that it is an A/B amp?

Thank you.

May 29, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 10
May 29, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 10
May 29, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 10
I meant others have had similar issues with this Cambridge line:

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/256471-cambridge-cxa60-amp-turns-off-straight-away/

https://www.avforums.com/threads/help-cambridge-amp-keeps-shutting-down.767409/

I wouldn't power it on and off repeatedly--just disconnect the speakers and leave it on, then see if it still shuts down. I'm no amp expert, just what I would personally try.
I looked at one of the threads you posted and it seriously looks as though there was a fault with CXA 60 and 80 or at least with some of them. I contacted Cambridge with this problem many times in the past and they acted blind to the problem as though they had never heard of it before even though others had stated that they told Cambridge about this exact same issue. Now my unit is out of warranty. What do we call people that do that? I think I know? The world does it to us all of the time.

So thanks msing I must have missed that thread when I was searching out my problem in the past.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 10
You're very welcome, I hope it's an easy thing to figure out and correct.

May 29, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 10
No, it doesn't look as though there is any way to correct this fault. Bad to the bone. No one has been able to find a solution, not even the certified service center.

I'll be looking to get another amp and never again will I entertain the thoughts of another Cambridge product. Once burned, twice shy.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back