Cables - Tested +With results
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:
The Null test will also show if there is an audible difference. But like blind testing, cable companies and cable believers are very reluctant to do the tests.

That there are measurable differences between cables is what cable companies rely to to suggest there is an audible difference. But none so far have show a link between the measurable difference and differences in sound quality. And from what I can find they have had 40 years of research to come up with a link.

And the biggest of these measurable differences could safely be described as stupidly small.*

*assuming cables appropriate gauge, ect...

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 24
Quantifying what one hears is a very subjective thing, but speaking for myself, I have often heard what I would call big differences by swapping one reputable cable for another. Not 1-2%, if the rest of the chain is already very good, and a well-known reference. There's also a learning curve here that needs to be taken into account. People who have spent decades making distinctions about how things sound (I mean live music, not just reproduced music) are generally going to make faster and more reliable distinctions than people who haven't. Even people with lots of experience though need to spend time learning to reliably hear subtle differences between two options - and then deciding which they prefer: interesting, complex music has so many "variables" of its own to take into account. What sounds better partly depends on what kinds of things you listen for and respond to in music.

Of course, the more subtle the differences, the easier it is to hear what you want to hear - whether that has to do with expectation of quality, or brand loyalty, or value for money/affordability (reducing cognitive dissonance around a contemplated or actual purchase), etc. Mood can also greatly affect not just the emotional qualities of music but its perceived sound quality. Plus, every time you listen to a passage of music it's going to sound a little different, if only because you've learned how to listen better from previous exposures. Again, the learning curve comes into play. ABX testing isn't much good for subtle differences in complex presentations, but once you've learned to hear them they can really enhance enjoyment.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that you have to (try to) control for loudness - the slightly louder always sounds better, other things being more or less equal, that's the physiology of hearing. But this is not easy to control for, can be very insidious if you're not aware of the effect, and complicates judgments if you're not sure whether one presentation is indeed slightly louder than the other, which can be the case in judging headphones - or cables - that have different frequency responses - and every component in a chain IS a filter to some extent. Plus, for this and other reasons, A might sound better at playback level X, B at playback level Y.

Any test that claims to show that there are no audible differences between cables, or that expectation determines what sounds better, would have to address these issues.

One would like to think that the variables in cable construction can be easily quantified and correlated with performance, that they're limited to a few basic interactions internally and with the equipment they're linking, i.e. that it's a relatively simple, well-understood technology. However, this only seems to be true up to a point. If there are a lot of possibly pretentious claims made about expensive cables based on exotic/esoteric science, there's also bad, reductionist science "proving" those claims can't be true. In the end it's better to check things out for yourself and have an open mind - no matter how unreliable it might be, at least it's yours!

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #18 of 24
The difference from the moderately priced cable ( upwards of 10 bucks or so  )  to the expensive one is inaudible to me, I just fail to hear it.  To me, you are paying $100-500 because the cable the casing is clear and braided which makes it it looks sexy.  I've a ton of those dirt cheap interconnects from the dollar store that sound horrendous compared to the one Fiio provided me for example, rr the $8.99 RCA to 1/4 cable I got from radio shack.  I attribute that terrible sound to the adapter heads and poor materials used to solder it, not so much the wires as I've used those dollar store cables to fashion new interconnects for myself and others which sounded pretty great with new adapter heads and a good solder job.  The wires are for the most part all the same.  

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #20 of 24
Sure, there are good, inexpensive cables. But the better your equipment, the more you'll find you CAN hear differences, and those differences will matter. And that's true of cables, power conditioners, power cords...

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Sure, there are good, inexpensive cables. But the better your equipment, the more you'll find you CAN hear differences, and those differences will matter. And that's true of cables, power conditioners, power cords...

As has been said 100000+ times before, this is sound science, care to post evidence? I know, cause I hear, is not evidence. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:

Quote:
As has been said 100000+ times before, this is sound science, care to post evidence? I know, cause I hear, is not evidence. 

I think this shows the real split between the two sides. One side believes hearing a difference is as far as they want to go. The other wants to study that further.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #23 of 24
On another note, I just made my first 100% DIY cable, braided and shielded it myself and everything.

Perhaps I will use this in my next round of testing.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:

I think this shows the real split between the two sides. One side believes hearing a difference is as far as they want to go. The other wants to study that further.

Yes. We have seen enough evidence from one side, and not too much from the other. I really wish I had the money and time to do proper testing, I would be all over it. I am a skeptic when it comes to cables, but I am willing to eat crow, and admit they make a difference(other than in your head) if someone shows that they do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back