Buying Advice Please
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

marcus2704

500+ Head-Fier
I have several headphones on trial and am finding it very difficult determining which of them I keep.

For the last year or so I have been running a HDV820 and HD800S setup, which I have been very happy with, but the upgrade bug has bit hard and I am considering anything from the below right up to TOTL headphones. Were I to part with the HD800S, I would feel it a real loss because nothing else sounds like them. I considered having two sets of headphones, but I cant think of too many times I would reach for the HD800S over whatever new pair I end up with.

I have already purchased an iFI PRO DSD as my 'end game' DAC, and my intention is to replace my Sennheiser setup with one of the below phones:

Focal Clear MG - Stunning looks, solid sound. If I were to choose one so far it would be these. Would I buy these and always wonder how they are compared to a Utopia..?
Audeze LCDX - Punchy, exciting sound, heavy but so far not uncomfortable
Hifiman Arya - A middle ground headphone, lacks low end bite but very comfortable and good overall

I would also consider other headphones, and have in fact been offered to try a pair of Focal Utopias and a Focal Arche. My intention from the outset was to buy TOTL rather than spend money incrementing my way there. However I am in two minds on this, because I question as to whether or not the vast price difference between these and the MGs translates to sound quality and would be very interested to hear from people who have experienced these.

I have spent around a day or so with each and have a few more weeks left of my trial. I would also be happy to consider other phones.

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 7
At that price point I'd strongly recommend looking in to ZMF as well.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 7
I would love to try a Verite but there are so few dealers and a home trial is probably out of the question. I have emailed one, so will see what they say, perhaps they have an open box.

Have spent all day with the Focal MGs and they are very, very good indeed. Tomorrow I will spend a day with the LCD-X.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 7
I am going to rule the Arya's out, whilst they are superbly comfortable and sound very sweet they are a nightmare to drive, even with 18db gain the volume on the iFI DSD Pro is dialled in around 70-80%, the same volume levels on the LCDX and Clear MGs is around 40% by comparison. They seem to be a halfway house between the spaciousness of the HD800S and the low end impact of the Focal Clear MGs. The definite all-rounder of the three for me, perhaps if they were not so demanding on the source they would be a contender.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 7
The Focal Clear MG against the LCD-X is a much harder choice for me. My music taste leans towards more bass driven music, and for that the LCD-X win out. I can also deal with the size to an extent, I initially found them to be exceptionally heavy (coming from HD800S) but I have got used to them and they feel pretty comfortable now. A-B tests kept me initially leaning towards the LCD-X also, music seemed to be exciting and crisp. By comparison, the Clears were a little muted, but once that initial difference has worn off and the brain becomes accustomed to the sound it in turns feels similarly exciting, with more in the midrange. As an overall headphone, the Clear MG ticks pretty much all of the boxes for me, it sounds wonderful, is comfortable for longer listening sessions, easy to drive and looks amazing.

I know for certain I will miss the LCD-X however, but my aim wasn't to end up with multiple pairs of headphones I would feel guilty for not using, there can only be one.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 7
What is your budget? What brands are you able to have a trial with? (I am assuming this is vital to you since you mentioned it)

If you have a return window, are you willing to buy and return as your trial?

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Since my post, I have purchased a Chord Hugo TT2 from here on Head-Fi. I found the Focal Clear MGs to be a little too bright in this pairing, and am looking now at the Meze Empyrean primarily. I have also ordered a Roon endpoint, and set up a Roon server for my local and streaming uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back