Buying a new cartridge...
Jun 7, 2005 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Hi Guys,

I haven't been listening to my vinyl rig lately because well, it doesn't sound all that great lately; a little flat and lifeless, definitely not what it sounded like a year ago. I think i'm in dire need of a new cartridge, the last time i replaced it was probably back in 1997
eek.gif

I have a Stanton 500 cart...what kind of cart is it? Is it MC or MM? Also, my turntable is an old Fisher....darn, i'm drawing a blank on the model# but its from 1984 or 1985. The turntable works fine, but i've never even put a thought into calibrating it, if it can be calibrated at all
eek.gif
eek.gif

If pics are necessary, i'll gladly take some tonight and post them up. Feel free to recommend different cartridges, i'm looking to spend up to $100 and a little more if its worthwhile. Maybe a whole new turntable (upwards of $350 without the cost of a upgraded cartridge) if you guys think its a waste of time and money to keep the Fisher.

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 6
The stanton is a cheap MM cartridge. It really depends on what model it is whether or not its even useful for your purposes. Most of them are DJ models with very high tracking force and high output.

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
The stanton is a cheap MM cartridge. It really depends on what model it is whether or not its even useful for your purposes. Most of them are DJ models with very high tracking force and high output.

Hey S_Dedalus, it's just a plain 500 model, based on what's written on the side of the actual cart.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 6
In a big city like NY, air pollution will mess up a cartridge in 3 years or so--you really need a new one!

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 6
TTVJ, The Goldring that came with my MMF-5 has crapped out. What (non-Goldring) cartridges are a good match for this turntable in the $250-350 range?

Thanks,

Mouth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back