Buying 2nd pair of audiophile headphones and looking to your experience for refinement!
Dec 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PUcmw11

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi!

Read through many forum posts, but I am to the point of I needing situational advice.

My name is Chris Wood from Indiana and I haven't posted on here in a few years. Last I was on, you fine folks helped me to refine my first choice of an audiophile grade headphone:

Etymotic ER4P

I have LOVED them for what they are...but I have refined my own tastes in sound signature and now I once again need help. Here we go!

I learned the meaning of flat and precision with the ER4P's. They have been great for that, but I have found them to be too analytical and cold for what I listen to most. I like a warmer (even a V shaped) sound signature.

So, I will keep my er4p's for my on-the-go ventures, but here is what I'm trying to find.

Requirements:

-mostly used at home with Computer (ASROCK Purity Sound-built in mo-bo amp and shielding) <--does have full size plug
-occasionally lossless format high bitrate sources on my galaxy note 3
-warmer than flat
-very strong (but clean!) bass for house/dubstep (don't judge!)
-no dedicated bass cannons with everything else muddled
-open/closed/IEM...No matter (except for gaming sound location is better with cans)
-used for gaming MMOFPS mostly (directional sound is a big plus!)
-will use external mic for gaming
-wide genre application (I really do have playlists that mix dubstep and opera...I listen to everything)
-sound isolation not a major concern
-not wanting to amp if I can avoid it
-would prefer replaceable pads/cords

A bit about me:

I'm not a dedicated basshead...but I want to feel it. Something about it stirs my soul and I love it. I also love classical and soundtracks (LOTR for example). Some days though, I just need some hip hop...Carter 4 never leaves the car. I am looking for the precision of the ER4P's with a significantly more fun outlook on life. I want be CoMpLeTeLy immersed in my games and movies like I was there. I want to hear if the tank creeping up behind me is at 4 or 6 o'clock. I want that perfection we seek...just tailored a bit to my preferences.

Budget:
$350

Current considerations:

Cans:
-Phillips Fidelio X1's
-Sennheiser HD598's

IEMs:
-Sennheiser Ie80's

I am open to all suggestions and hoping you wonderful people can provide some clarity and recommendations! First hand experience and experience based on similar preferences is definitely preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Wood

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 5
After a full day of reviewing I stumbled upon the new fidelio x2's and I feel as though I answered my own question...seems to fit exactly what I want...a more fun HD650...done and done! Thanks anyway

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 5
I have the X1 and i don't see how you can go wrong with the X2. They supposedly have less bass tho which is a bit of a turnoff for me personally.
I was admittedly concerned about that too. Everyone seems to think it is an improvement to the bass? Do you like your X1's? So hard not being able to compare them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back