Burn in: AH-D7000 + Compass amp/dac
May 13, 2009 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

estwd

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just received my Denon AH-D7000 from JR and just ordered my Compass which should be shipped in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, can you all school me in the burn in process?

1. How long does the AH-D7000 and the Compass take to burn in?

2. Do I just constantly play any music through the Compass and into the hp?

3. Is there something in particular I should be playing during burn in?

4. Do I just set something up on a loop and let it run for a month?

5. On the Compass should I set it up a certain way before starting the burn in process?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

estwd

May 13, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 14
For the headphones, turn your music up slightly above listening volume and let them run. You can either use looped pink noise or some bassy music. I think this should suffice for the amp as well.

There is a decent amount of info and resources about burn in here, although as a heads up about some of the files, many folks here recommend against using low frequency sweeps to burn in your headphones as they can be damaging.

Enjoy the combination... I had a few days with a pair of D5000s and a Compass and thought the combination was very strong, I'd imagine the Compass will mate well with your D7000s as well.

May 13, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 14
I burned in my D7000 and Compass by playing all the music on my pc with a foobar 2000 play list on repeat. I used the volume that I normally would listen to music with. I left everything on and played music for about four days night and day.
They sound great together!

May 13, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 14
So I can just download the pink noise file from that link and play it through the Compass and into the hp at listening levels in a continuous loop for 600 hours?

estwd

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the headphones, turn your music up slightly above listening volume and let them run. You can either use looped pink noise or some bassy music. I think this should suffice for the amp as well.

There is a decent amount of info and resources about burn in here, although as a heads up about some of the files, many folks here recommend against using low frequency sweeps to burn in your headphones as they can be damaging.

Enjoy the combination... I had a few days with a pair of D5000s and a Compass and thought the combination was very strong, I'd imagine the Compass will mate well with your D7000s as well.

May 13, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by estwd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can just download the pink noise file from that link and play it through the Compass and into the hp at listening levels in a continuous loop for 600 hours?

estwd

Sure. But 600 hours is a bit much, I'd do it for 48 hours, max, then just listen to music and play it at night or whenever I'm not using it.

May 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 14
No idea what the recommended burn-in time is, but yeah just do as the above poster said and leave it playing pink noise when you're not listening. Good luck!

May 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 14
I used the pink noise clip, set it on iTunes to repeat, and let 'er roll for the hours I slept.

When I went to work, I just put on an enormous playlist and let 'er rip.

That was then...now the D7000's are as mellow as aged bourbon.

And yes, the Compass is next.

May 13, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 14
My compass has been shipped, and I'm #2 on backorder for the D7000's from J&R. This thread has helped, thanks!

May 13, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 14
Your 7K's have probably Already wowed you so get ready for more warmth. They don't need much burn-in. maybe a week at around a couple of hours a day and the bass and baritones will open up. It may take a while for the leather pads to soften up and even that will make a slight difference But I'm sure you are loving them right out of the box.
Nice box too, Huh?

May 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for all the great info.

So help me wrap my head around this part...

Since the compass is an amp and a dac do both pieces need burn in?

I ask because if I hook my iphone to it with the pink noise wave file running on a loop this will be an analog signal, completely bi-passing the dac.

Should I make sure a digital signal is going into the Compass during burn in so the dac gets its time to feel the burn?

If so, I guess I'll hook it to my computer first and use the usb port for the digital signal, or I'll get an Apple Airport Express (which I was planning on doing), and hook the Compass up in my bedroom and stream the digital signal to the Airport Express and into the dac part.

Crazy long sentance - just got home from work...give me a pass :)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

estwd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back