building "Hi-fi" system on 10k budget
Feb 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #31 of 35
The single biggest impact on the sound that you hear is the room in which you place your system.

1 Find a decent local dealer that will let you audition your choices in store

2 Use this method with your favourite recordings to narrow down your selection to a few components

3 Audition the demo components in your own home before final purchase.

4 Find a Linn dealership and listen to an all Linn system. I did 11 years ago and it is still giving me the same pleasure today. In that 11 years I have only upgraded my amp once to a pre/power set up. I still use the original CDP, DAC and speakers.

5 Do not waste your money on snake oil cables and interconnects, just get any well made pair that looks reasonable, they all sound pretty much the same under blind ABX testing.

6 Do not read any magazine reviews

7 Enjoy the search and once you have made your final choice, stop reading reviews and visiting forums. Buy more music

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #33 of 35
My 10 k system..

Alon model 1 speakers $1600 new got used for $450

Clearaudio Performance DC turntablewith Clarify arm. $3700-4000
Got used with warranty from soundatage direct (looked like it was never used. $1799

Ortofon 2m black cartridge $795

Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II $2595 new. I got 3 mos. old on audiogon for $1975 (again looked unused. Bought tube cage from needle dr. $125

Bluesound node 2 $499.99

Park audio Budgie Tube phono preamp
$325

WOOaudio wa-2 headphone amp $1199 new got for $900 ebay.

Massdrop hd-6xx headphones (exact same specs and measured output as the sennheiser hd-650 $199

Yamaha CDR-661 cd player $20 Goodwill

So for $7200 i got a system that cost 11k plus new. Ive had my Speakers rebuilt so they really are like new....and all my hardware although used all has less than 1 year use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back