Buffy Season 1 DVD
Jan 31, 2002 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, does this set of DVDs look really bad!
eek.gif
I was listening to the commentary on the first episode and they said they shot this on 16mm because it was cheaper and they had no money. They did go on to say that 16mm will have more grain but isn't there anything that could have been done to clean this up. For $40 I think they should have done better.

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 9
well, is Sarah Michelle Gellar on those DVDs? then what are you worrying about
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 9
I liked it. Never having seen it before. I have to admit, they dressed her more ...erm...sexily than I'm used to (can you see push-em-up-and-together?)...it seemed almost ...exploitative. I don't really think of SMG as a sex object, I watch the show because I really like the writing, acting, dialog, direction, humour, etc. That which holistically is the show.

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 9
The night scenes in Buffy are filmed at night as well, which also makes things appear to look worse - when compared to movies that just stick a blue filter over the lens.

Personally I like the grainy look, the first and second seasons didn't have a very high budget, but for the budget they had, they certainly turned out very well.

In the 3rd season the quality improves, but you'll have to put up with the retro-grainyness in the first 2 seasons.

"cleaning up" the grainyness is impossible, it's the film not the film-dvd transfer that limits the quality.

Feb 2, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
She cute :> and Willow too.

Yes, Willow too cute.
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 9
I've had the buffy season 1 boxset for over 18 months, we've got to season 3 now over here in the UK and Austrialia. The first 2 seasons are not that good quailty but the second part of season 2 get's better, and season 3 is better still.

The box for season 2 is a book type slip case, be careful when taking them out, the card actually scratches the discs. in season 3 they put padding behind it but season 2 box is a problem.

Feb 2, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 9
I think the quality of the dvd's is ok. The reception's bad in my area, so the picture is much better than what I get on the TV. It does sometimes look like a music video in night scenes, but the day scenes are pretty clear. I think its a good deal for $29 (at amazon.com), you get over 8 hrs of stuff! You guys in the UK are lucky, season 2 won't be released in the States until June, and season 3 comes out in the fall.

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Buffy season 4 due to rlease here in May 13th, Angel season 2 at April 15th. I already have Angel season 1 DVD too, the quailty is actually quite good on that. It'll be the day when I can watch the whole Buffy series all the way through, it'll take weeks though, with Angel as well, it'll be even longer.

$30 is cheap, you lot have it lucky for DVD prices, Season 1 is £40 over here, that's $60, Season 2 onwards (6 discs) are £67.99, that's like $100. But we do get it a year early, the videos (fisrt 11 episodes) are out straight after the first half of the series are shown on satellite, and the other half after the series are shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back