Budget USB DAC/AMP recommendations please.
Aug 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ledzepploid

New Head-Fier
My new pc build has a ground loop problem. It likes to hiss at me whenever I do somthing so I am in need of a dac/amp.

It will drive a 50ohm Sennheiser HD595. Budget preferably is under £100. I can go higher if it is warranted though. 

A few I have noticed on Amazon:

Topping TP30 - £65
fiio e7 - £70
fiio e17 - £99
DacMagic XS - £99

I bought my HD595's 6 years ago and I am yet to try them out with an amp, so I'm looking forward to hearing what improvement they provide.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 5
  My new pc build has a ground loop problem. It likes to hiss at me whenever I do something so I am in need of a dac/amp.
It will drive a 50ohm Sennheiser HD595. Budget preferably is under £100. I can go higher if it is warranted though. 
A few I have noticed on Amazon:
Topping TP30 - £65
fiio e7 - £70
fiio e17 - £99
DacMagic XS - £99
I bought my HD595's 6 years ago and I am yet to try them out with an amp, so I'm looking forward to hearing what improvement they provide.

Is this just for music? or also gaming? or movies?

Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card is low cost and decent.
For an external, FiiO E10K USB DAC/amp.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your suggestions. 

I mostly listen to classical. It would also be used for gaming. Some Oculus Rift demos have started to implement binaural audio, I don't know if that changes which dac/amp I should opt for.

The Asus Xonar DGX is only £23. Would I still hear the ground loop interference though?

The FiiO E10K is £62. It's not out until the end of September, though I don't mind waiting.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for your suggestions. 
I mostly listen to classical. It would also be used for gaming. Some Oculus Rift demos have started to implement binaural audio, I don't know if that changes which DAC/amp I should opt for.
The Asus Xonar DGX is only £23. Would I still hear the ground loop interference though?
The FiiO E10K is £62. It's not out until the end of September, though I don't mind waiting.

Any idea exactly what is causing the ground loop.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 5

Any idea exactly what is causing the ground loop.

Unfortunately not. However, after I spent a few hours trying to get to the bottom of it last night, it was not nearly as noticeable as it had been. I can still hear it with my headphones, but I can drown it out with music. I tried the usual things: remove usb and front audio headers, change power cable and moved the pc to another room.

I do welcome the excuse to treat myself to an dac/amp though. I think I will preorder the FiiO E10K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back