"Budget" Dedicated DAC to work with Matrix M-Stage AMP & AKG K712
Nov 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

deFiniLoGy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've read through a lot of reviews from the forum for some budget DAC or DAC/AMP like Audinst, Aune, iBasso, O2, Matrix etc.

But I find it very hard to draw a conclusion especially due to the fact that I am only a student studying abroad without the money to buy everything and sell the ones I do not like afterwards...

So I really need some light on this :)

Currently, I own an Audinst HUD MX-2 and a Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 amp pairing with K712 Pro as my desktop setup, whereas Note 3 with W4R as my portable setup.

However, my Audinst HUD MX-2 needs service and I have sent it back to Korea to fix (Loose RCA plug + right channel hissing sound when a Cense LPS is plugged in) so I do not have a DAC to use for over a month.

So I thought, is it a good time to look at a different DAC, and started to look at various options that I have.

My budget will be around $250 or £200 (do need to count VAT as well...), and I am looking for a Solid State DAC as suggested by various forum members as I am looking for a neutral and detailed DAC to complement my K712 primarily.

I sound signature of K712 is good enough for me already, if anything I would like to bring up more details, but I don't need more bass (yes I DO think the bass in K712 is enough :) )

So is there anything around this price point can beat the DAC section of the HUD MX-2?? (God it's selling at Black Friday deal @20% off!!!!!) 

Thanks everyone in advance!!

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 3
You are looking at a tough price point as it is hard to distance the performance between DACs just under that point.  If you want good detail and nothing more, I actually think a used Dragonfly would be just the ticket and then keep saving/waiting for something better to come along.  For something more substantial (but probably not better sound, though I am no expert here...), you have the usual suspects from Schiit or JDS Labs with a Modi/Loki or ODAC respectively.

I held onto my Dragonfly for a good while before jumping up to the NAD D1050 (and also considered Arcam and Parasound) and I think that is the level where things get noticeably better, at least for me.  Having said that, keeping an eye on the used market is a really good way to go as well.  One more great option would be the Aune T1 mkII.  I have not heard this one at all (and only briefly heard most of what has been mentioned above), but the Aune fan club seems convinced the DAC section is quite excellent and it is the head amp that holds it back a bit.  There have also been reports of decent synergy with the AKG K series as well.  Who knows, you might like it well enough to trade in the M-Stage down the road for the new model with built in DAC or some other longer term plan.  Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back