Bringing the CD1700s back to life: A new miniplug!
Jul 11, 2002 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ian

Lifting Meridians by their trays
Welll, if you've talked to me on IM or ICQ you know I've bitched and moaned about my Sony MDR-CD1700s (the only headphones I've kept around for a long time - been through many like Grado SR-325, RS-1, Sony MDR-CD3000, etc)...they really are great cans, except I've used them too much. So much that the miniplug broke! Well, it didn't quite break...depending on how the cord was moved, the channels would crackle in and out. I finally got the guts to rip into the miniplug and saw that the wires and been ripped right out of the solder in some places. What is a guy to do? It'd be a good $200 to buy a new pair used (since they dont make these puppies anymore)...

After consulting a few people (mainly Jude, he puts up with me very well), I ordered some Nuetrik 3.5mm stereo mini-plugs from Parts Express. I went ahead and got 3 since they were cheap enough (like $2). I figured it'd be better to have these than the $0.25 Ratshack brand things. After all, these are nice cans, they deserve some decent plugs.

I finally got the plugs in the mail, almost messing my pants when I opened them up. Wow, they look great....but pretty tiny. How am I supposed to solder these to the cable?

After lots of testing with my friend, I finally figured out that the short prong was the left channel and the long prong was the right channel...while the ground was just the big ol metal thing. The hardest part was stripping the tiny wire enclosed in the fat CD1700 cable. They were very tiny, had lots of insulation, and were very hard to hold on to. Eventually I got it set up and we started soldering. First the ground to the fat metal thing, then the left, then the right....

An hour and a half later, my CD1700s work again, and I am one happy dude.

Of course, if you read this far, I guess I'll give you some of my listening impressions. After not hearing decent cans for a few weeks, I was in awe once again. The CD1700s have this incredible smoothness and finess that I simply haven't found in ANY other headphones. They are especially wonderful in non-complex passages where single instruments (like guitars) sparkle and shine with perfection. Yet at the same time it's so easy and enjoyable to listen to, never harsh or tedious. The bass is punchy and tight, and definently not too much (I hate too much bass!!!).

I dont think the new miniplug has effected the sound, if at all. It's been to long since I heard them for a "scientific" test, but I can say that they sound just as good as I remember.

Ok, I really gotta get back to listening...

Jul 11, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 14
Congratulations on the successful transplant surgery, ian.

Glad the Neutrik worked out -- I wouldn't be surprised if it was better than what was on there before (though, of course, I can't say for sure).

Now I know where to send my headphones if they go on the blink.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I dunno if it's nicer, the CD1700 jack was real nice quality - even had a nice rubber thing around the cord, and a 1/4" adapter that screwed on the end. Oh well, no big loss.
And no way I'd do that again, even for you! :p

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 14
Ian,
Where to buy those plug? By the way, Love the CD-1700.

Purk

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by ian
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I dunno if it's nicer, the CD1700 jack was real nice quality - even had a nice rubber thing around the cord, and a 1/4" adapter that screwed on the end. Oh well, no big loss.
And no way I'd do that again, even for you! :p

You've still got that rubber thing?

I must confess that I removed it on my first pair of CD1700s... but on this current pair and also my MDR-F1s i've left it there...

Do you think there is any purpose behind it? (to stop the metal from discoloring)... or just some part of the packaging that we should've removed?

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Samson
Hey Ian, mind me asking what cd player that is that you have attached with your posts? It looks like a beautiful player.

I think, although Ian will have to confirm here, as this was his player, that it was a Meridian 604?

Sep 15, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Duncan,

Quote:

You've still got that rubber thing? I must confess that I removed it on my first pair of CD1700s... but on this current pair and also my MDR-F1s i've left it there...

Do you think there is any purpose behind it? (to stop the metal from discoloring)... or just some part of the packaging that we should've removed?

That rubber thing suppose to dissipate some of the stresses b/w the cord and the plug itself(this should prolong the life of the LC-OFC copper wire of the headphone). Nothing in particular and discoloring is not an issue here. I wish that I can get this type of replacement plug (unimatch with rubber thing) directly from Sony. Does anyone know the part number for this?

By the way, I found the website for the nuetrik plug. I should have read it better.

Purk

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 14
Purk,

I'm not fully sure that you and me are talking of the same thing...

The one that i'm referring to is a little clear rubbery sheath, just the length of the metal housing of the plug...

If you're talking about that too, then I apologise
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 14
duncan,
Quote:

I'm not fully sure that you and me are talking of the same thing...

Now I know what do you mean by the "rubber" thing.
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Purk

Sep 15, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Duncan,

I wish that I can get this type of replacement plug (unimatch with rubber thing) directly from Sony. Does anyone know the part number for this?

Purk

Purk, I'd asked Ian about a replacement plug for my MDR-V6's in another thread, and after consideration decided to get the original Sony UniMatch plug instead of the Neutrik. One reason was that they come with the strain-relief (the rubber thing you refer to, not the clear sheath around the contacts that's causing confusion). Do a search for item # 150658911 here: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/cgi.../showitems.cgi

I ordered from them, it should be here in a few days.

Sep 15, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Ozric,
Thanks for the info, however, the price of 21.95 is somewhat very steep (14.95 +6.95 for shipping). I'm very temp that which plug I should order. The Sony is the original but way too over price, while the Neutrik is suppose to be cheaper and better, but do not equip with strain-relief rubber thing. Anyway, I decide to get the Neutrik (6 of them) with the shipping cost for a total of 17.61 dollars.
By the way, why did you choose to order the "unimatch" plug? Is it b/c of the strain-relief thing? If that is the case, that's should be a well worth investment.

Purk

Sep 16, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 14
Purk,

I ordered the UniMatch plug because the plug is sold as a package. I won't have to buy a separate gold adapter to convert to a 1/4" plug, and like I mentioned it comes with the strain-relief. The cheapest source I found for the Neutrik was almost $10 including shipping, and Parts Express that Ian recommended requires a minimum order of $20, otherwise it would've costed me $13 in addition to the cost of the plug. Since all I need is just one plug, I decided to go for the Sony.

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 14
The black thing doesn't offer much strain relief...the majority of it comes from the clamp that is clamped over the unstripped wire.

And that CD player was the Meridian 506.20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back