Braided Cable
Nov 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 24
What do you guys think of this. I just did it this way because I had no idea what kind of geometry is best. It's 12 awg wires, 3 pairs, each pair for each conductor.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 24
To set the Record straight  What Is Litz Wire??? 
Litz wire
Wire woven in a pattern to reduce the "skin effect." For ordinary stranded wire each strand tends to stay the same distance from the wire center. The magnetic field produced by the current in the wire effects the strands differently depending on this distance, causing the skin effect. In Litz wire the strands weave in and out, such that all strands experience almost the same magnetic field, and carry nearly equal current. OR..... 

Litz wire consists of multiple strands insulated electrically from each other. Ordinarily the strands are twisted or woven, but no twisting is shown in this diagram.

Litz wire is a type of cable used in electronics to carry high frequency alternating current

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
What do you guys think of this. I just did it this way because I had no idea what kind of geometry is best. It's 12 awg wires, 3 pairs, each pair for each conductor.

haloxt, Nice Job!............. Did that wire start life as speaker wire (one side Pos. the other being the ground)????.......then you used 3 pieces of it to braid into a power cord???

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #22 of 24
9pintube, yes, that's 12 awg paired speaker wire, 3 pairs.

I showed it to an EE friend and he said it was a dumb thing to do, electrically speaking :p. Can't decide if I should take it apart since it does look kind of cool.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 24

From what I've read, braiding can do odd things electrically which is probably why the ee said it was dumb.

If this is true, does it apply to all the unshielded, braided, expensive cables that are being sold as supposed audiophiles cables? Are all those braided cables frauds?

Does this apply to braided headphone cables too?

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back