Bought used Mark Levinson 5909 - What is the next step?
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Museo12

New Head-Fier
I bought a used Mark Levinson 5909 to use with my Samsung Ultra 24. It's a new world and listen with Bluetooth from the phone with LDAC. In wired (passive) mode the volume is low but the sound is even better.

Now I want to learn more about how I can use my ML5909 to listen with even better sound quality. I use Tidal with my Samsung phone. Is there any good beginner dac? Or should I use a DAP? Or any other suggestions? I listen both at home and on travel.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 6
I bought a used Mark Levinson 5909 to use with my Samsung Ultra 24. It's a new world and listen with Bluetooth from the phone with LDAC. In wired (passive) mode the volume is low but the sound is even better.

Now I want to learn more about how I can use my ML5909 to listen with even better sound quality. I use Tidal with my Samsung phone. Is there any good beginner dac? Or should I use a DAP? Or any other suggestions? I listen both at home and on travel.
No point in getting a DAC or DAP when you already have one built into your headphones and phone. Tidal is a good service. Your next step is a wired desktop setup with some excellent headphones or the T+A wireless headphones. That, or IEMs with a DAP. If all you want is more volume in wired mode, a Truthear SHIO dongle will get you that. The 5909 is probably the 2nd best wireless headphones out there, enjoy it.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 6
No point in getting a DAC or DAP when you already have one built into your headphones and phone. Tidal is a good service. Your next step is a wired desktop setup with some excellent headphones or the T+A wireless headphones. That, or IEMs with a DAP. If all you want is more volume in wired mode, a Truthear SHIO dongle will get you that. The 5909 is probably the 2nd best wireless headphones out there, enjoy it.
Thanks for your reply! Is not a Truthear Ship dongle a DAC?

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your reply! Is not a Truthear Ship dongle a DAC?
Yeah, it's a DAC/amp. It'll give you more power for wired mode, that about it since I think the built in DAC will take over. You asked for a good beginner DAC, that's one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back