Bought the Re2, looking for some help.
Jan 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

abram

New Head-Fier
So I'm very new at this.
This is my first post and like many others say, I've been lurking on here for a little bit.
I was sold on the re2 because of it's positive reviews for an entry level IEM and it's surprisingly low price. I was thinking about going with the etymotic HF2 untill now. But that was before I read up on the re2.

So I purchased the re2 of amazon for 30 with free shipping.
So I've been listening for a couple days, and like many people, was first faced with the tinny sound of a poor fit. Of the tips that came with it, I've settled on the smallest black ones and they seem to fit fairly well. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for tips that are on the smaller end that have notably better sound isolation than the stock tips. That being said these do get pretty good isolation: While listening at a typical volume I didn't hear the phone ringing right beside me.

Also, today I noticed that the re2 is being sold on head direct with the Fiio E5 amp for just ten dollars more than the re2 by itself. I was already considering an amplifier, so that was a missed opportunity since that amp sells for 22 on headirect normally. Is there any chance I could email them and get it for 10?
Are there other portable amps worth considering pairing with the re2?

I'm generally pleased with the re2 as is. I'm not one to describe sound, but the different layers on tracks are easily discerned from one another. The bass is punchy and harmonies sound excellent. I've been listening to every genre I could think of to get a general feel for these, and I'm impressed. Very good bang (no pun intended), especially for the buck.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 4
i own re2 and fiio 5 . i didnt purchase fiio 5 with re2 in the first place.. but anyway re2 and fiio 5 sound nice. RE2 has nice smooth yet decent detail for their prize. and tonal color of RE2 makes them one of the best for rock/metal genres in general. dance music tends to be bassier if u try to listen , but bass might be weak for somebody's taste. in case u love ur re2 , give them time to proper burn in. they will shine.. once u will get tired of re2 ( for me it was 4 months) , purchase RE0. the SQ of RE0 blowed my ears. Detail and clarity surpases re2 by mile stepsohh. and about other amplifiers.. i cant help.. but fiio 5 makes mids more livelike , punchier, which is good.
if u wana tweak ur re2 even more to change sound a bit and possibly add detail in highs , then remove filters , grab some pin and softly remove yellow pads in mossles. result : more highs and even more soundstage.howgh

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Re2 and fiio is a nice combo but not the best really, because the fiio is a pos. It's a well put together product, but it narrows soundstage and in general makes sound quality worse. Just get it if you want more bass. Do me a big favor though, don't ever use the bass switch. It makes things even worse. You get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back