Bought 35mm FILM camera. What have I done?!
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #16 of 23
I agree that a 1-hour place will probably develop the negatives properly but will they handle them properly?  Have you ever watched them while waiting in line at the drug store?  It's a miracle that they don't scratch 90% of the negatives.

The OP is talking more about color photography which, IMO, is too difficult for a DIY hobbyist.  B&W is one thing but color is a huge can of worms, especially printing it properly.

Not to thread jack, but do you really find that much difference between variable RC paper an Fiber?  To be honest, I've never used graded paper but I've spent a lot of time with both RC and Fiber.  Anymore, the only time I use fiber is when I want to use Ilford's wonderful Warmtone paper.  Actually, I only use Ilford products period from film, to developer, to paper, but I don't find the extra hassle of handling fiber worthwhile unless I want to use that specific paper (which I do quite often).

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
I agree that a 1-hour place will probably develop the negatives properly but will they handle them properly?  Have you ever watched them while waiting in line at the drug store?  It's a miracle that they don't scratch 90% of the negatives.

The OP is talking more about color photography which, IMO, is too difficult for a DIY hobbyist.  B&W is one thing but color is a huge can of worms, especially printing it properly.

Not to thread jack, but do you really find that much difference between variable RC paper an Fiber?  To be honest, I've never used graded paper but I've spent a lot of time with both RC and Fiber.  Anymore, the only time I use fiber is when I want to use Ilford's wonderful Warmtone paper.  Actually, I only use Ilford products period from film, to developer, to paper, but I don't find the extra hassle of handling fiber worthwhile unless I want to use that specific paper (which I do quite often).

I honestly forgot he was mainly interested in color in the middle of my post, it was so long-winded....and yes color printing can be pretty intense at times. In terms of the treatment of negatives, I have been fortunate enough to grow into photography with a darkroom at my disposal and so I honestly didn't realize it had gotten so bad! But I am sure if you found a place that returned the negatives in sleeves and were not completely careless or jerks thats the negatives should be ok? But if they're outside sleeves when handled and the person doesn't care they def. can get scratched. 

In terms of RC versus Fiber paper, HONESTLY, I think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I simply enjoy the feel of fiber paper over the plastic-like feel of RC paper. I also get a result with most Matte FB that I just can't seem to get with Matte RC paper. Finally, I think I just feel more connected to my work when I have spent so much effort and care on it, and it just feels so much more personal....All-in-all I think its is mostly just a personal preference in terms of feel, atmosphere and specifically with Matte paper,slight difference in tones and presentation.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
In terms of RC versus Fiber paper, HONESTLY, I think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that I simply enjoy the feel of fiber paper over the plastic-like feel of RC paper. I also get a result with most Matte FB that I just can't seem to get with Matte RC paper. Finally, I think I just feel more connected to my work when I have spent so much effort and care on it, and it just feels so much more personal....All-in-all I think its is mostly just a personal preference in terms of feel, atmosphere and specifically with Matte paper,slight difference in tones and presentation.

Buy yourself a small box of the Ilford Warmtone.  I think you'll like it.  Comes in both RC and fiber but the fiber is much better.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 23
Lately I have been shooting very dry,rigid and cold compositions so I don't think warmtone paper will fit the bill as of now, but I have used it and it is def. something that is fun/interesting to experiment with.  Only tried the FB but maybe I'll pick up some RC to really see what the differences are now. Thanks for the advice!!

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 23

My EOS-3 with power grip arrived!  But my films haven't arrived yet  :duh:

img7818.jpg

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #21 of 23
eos13t2i2.jpg

Canon EOS-1V HS vs EOS-3 with Power Grip vs. Canon T2i digital camera.

eos1vhs.jpg

Canon EOS-1V HS.  The last and best Pro film camera Canon ever made.  

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 23

OK. So I just got back my first roll of film in more than 10 years, developed and scanned by Target.  Several things struck me.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used that nice Fuji Reala 100 film as my first roll, since most sunset/dusk shots came out hopelessly blurry and muted.  My digital camera takes these scenes no problem, albeit at high ISO.  ISO 100 film just doesn't do dusk; I hope to try ISO 400 film next for these sunset/dusk conditions.   

Scenes in daylight came out pretty well, though the scans don't seem to have advantage over shots taken with digital camera.  In not-so-perfect lighting, digital seems to yield sharper, cleaner images.  

Thirdly, I really miss having the large 3" LCD screen with histogram right there.  I also miss the instantaneous preview of the photo I just took.  I guess this is why digital is winning big time.  

Lastly, I wonder if I need to go with slide films, sent out for developing, etc, in order to gain edge over digital.  Or is that the limitation of 35mm, and does film really need to be medium-format in right lighting to significantly outshine digital? Or does none of it matter unless large prints are involved?

snow1w.jpg

rainbow1n.jpg

yard1f.jpg

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 23
Slide film has less latitude than print film.  It does have the advantage of being able to be viewed on a light table or projector.
I highly suggest trying Provia 400X, it has fairly accurate colors, fine grain, and is fast enough to use for a good portion of the day. 
Ektachrome E100G has nice colors the down side is that it is ISO 100, that limits it to bright daylight or studio use.

Edit: I tired the ISO 200 Ektachrome, it seems to be grainier and a bit less colorful than the E100G.

Medium format will give you a bigger negatives (or positives if you so choose).  You will have less choices in film with 120 or 220 than 135 film but the choices left are good ones.
I think the bigger issue you need to address is finding a film that you really like.  If you don't like the colors, contrast, or grain you see with 24x36mm, you will not like it on 6x4.5cm, 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9 either.  The grain will be proportionally smaller given the same size print though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back