Bottlehead S.E.X. ---thoughts?
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DesertInTheShape

100+ Head-Fier
are bottlehead s.e.x. amps difficult to build? about how long are we talking to put this thing together? are there any sites that sell them already pieced together? thoughts on sound and possible alternatives-
confused.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertInTheShape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are bottlehead s.e.x. amps difficult to build? about how long are we talking to put this thing together? are there any sites that sell them already pieced together? thoughts on sound and possible alternatives-
confused.gif

They are a level 1 kit, the easiest ones to do.
I built one a couple years ago and I think it took about 3 evenings.
The instructions are very good and there is a lot of support on the Bottlehead forum if you get stuck. You can call them too.
As long as you can identify the basic components and know which end of a soldering iron to hold, you can build it. You'll need an inexpensive DMM, soldering iron, and basic hand tools.

Funny you mention this amp because I ordered one a couple weeks ago.
It's very good sounding stock, but responds well to upgrades, especially adding the C4S boards that they sell.
Going to do all the mods/upgrades this time and try to squeeze every bit of performance out of it that I can.
TR

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm also kinda interested in hearing impressions of this amp...there's not much to be found on it...

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 10
there are some nice pics to be found on flickr. i'm still not completely sold on having to put this thing together. i just don't want to get frustrated with it, and i get frustrated with putting shelves on my wall...but i like it...wish i could hear it!

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also kinda interested in hearing impressions of this amp...there's not much to be found on it...

Yeah,
I'm not sure why.
it sounds good, isn't too expensive, and isn't that hard to build.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 10
not to get too off topic but what really attracted me was the price and the looks. (as i obviously haven't heard it) can anyone recommend any alternatives in this price range that i don't have to put together?!

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds good...

Compared to what?

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 10
I got very close to pull the trigger on this amp w/ the caps and transformer upgrade. But I was undecided between it and a maxxed out Woo 6.

Then a Singlepower MPX3 showed up and the rest is history. I still would like to listen to on of these amps.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 10
There are couple of people that will build the Bottlehead kits for you. You could ask for names in the Bottlehead forums. Also, if you want more info, go the the product page for the S.E.X. amp and scroll down to the end to find dozens of testimonials.

The products are easy to build, they sound great, they are VERY tweakable, and the Bottlehead community is one of the best around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back