• "Lump Sum" - 3:21
  • "Skinny Love" - 3:59
  • "The Wolves (Act I and II)" - 5:22
  • "Blindsided" - 5:29
  • "Creature Fear" - 3:06
  • "Team" - 1:57
  • "For Emma " - 3:41
  • "Re: Stacks" - 6:41
[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Independently released in 2007 and later picked up by Jagjaguwar in 2008, For Emma, Forever Ago has become a great hit scoring high in almost every review around. Justin Vernon, under the name Bon Iver, recorded this album during a three month "hibernation" in a [/size][/size]Wisconsin [size=xx-small][size=x-small]cabin after the dissolution of his previous band.

The content is great but it would have been nice to see what this would have turned out to be in a proper studio album. The first time I listened to the album I found myself constantly looking up lyrics. The style is acoustic folky with great vocals and harmony. The whole album has a very mellow and warm feel to it.

The first track is absolutely beautiful and a reasonable representation of the whole CD. Deep lyrics, steady acoustic guitar and almost haunting vocals by Vernon. The beginning of track two gives off a real Animal Collective feeling - the lyrics in this one are really vague but reference some kind of return home away from some type of depression. "Skinny Love" is by far my favorite song on this track. The lyrics are incredible and the vocals make you want to embarrass yourself trying to sing along. I thought that this was the most emotional song on the album and really catchy as well. This one makes the mix CD for my car every time. Each song is certainly worth a listen and the recording makes it real easy to enjoy.

I have heard this guy is really good live, if his performances are half as emotional as his studio work, it would really be something to see.

[/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back