BlueTrip: iPod as music server/remote?
Jan 14, 2005 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Yeah, I know the iPod is portable, so this should probably be in that forum, but hey it's a computer and since we discuss music servers (Squeezebox, Soundbridge, Airport Express, etc.) here, I thought I'd mention Griffin just announced at Macworld today the BlueTrip. Basically iPod to BlueTrip receiver via Bluetooth. The iPod becomes server/remote control. Any thoughts about this alternative approach to the above?

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Could this be used to connect the bluetrip to the AX and use a ipod as a remote/server. I checked out the website and I am a little confused as to exactly how it works. Of course, I was out entertaining a client so I am only at 50% capacity at the moment so if I missed the obvious, I apologize.

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 5
If I've RTFA'ed correctly, it hooks into the dock connector, and functions much the same way as Griffin's iTrip, though in this case, it's a digital bitstream being transmitted, and a special reciever unit (included, I'd imagine) outputs the results through RCA, toslink, or headphones (huh?). Seems like the answer to the question noone's asking, IMO.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 5
Neither of the iPod's connectors has digital out pins, so this device must convert the iPod's analog signal to digital then transmit it via Bluetooth. Not really a great idea sound quality-wise, but it probably sounds reasonably decent.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
The iPod becomes server/remote control. Any thoughts about this alternative approach to the above?

All those BT solutions used compression up until now, at least I am not aware of one that does not, so they are all *out*. It's a matter of bandwidth, or the lack of it. I am not likely to trade soundquality for convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back