Blu-Ray gurus.. help!
Jun 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tokinlots

New Head-Fier
I just picked up a:

Pioneer Elite BDP- 94HD

My heart definitely skipped a beat when I first laid eyes on it because I thought it was going to be one of my highly desired and sought after Elite SACD players, but it's not. I don't know anything about it.

Can anybody shed some light on this piece of equipment for me? Thanks!

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 6
SACD players i don't know much about, i saw meh reviews on those Pioneer players and the consensus i gathered is to buy Sony or Panasonic when it comes to BD players. If you want the best you buy the $300+ Oppo.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Hmm.. Are you sure you know what you're talking about here? Don't take offense.. It's just, when this unit came out in 07 it was considered one of the best BluRay players in the world at any price. It retailed for a little over a thousand dollars, putting it in the middle-upper price bracket.

Now, don't get me wrong.. this is back in 2007. A lot has happened since then. I know.

But after all the research I have done, this unit still offers one of the best pictures of them all at any price. Even the 2,000 dollar and up units from Arcam. It lacks a lot of things too since it was released amid a surge of up and coming new technologies.

But to be honest.. I don't care. I got a great deal on it and it's still the best BluRay player I've ever used. I'm sure Cary and Arcam make better stuff now, but this unit still shines above most where it counts.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm going to agree with Astrozombie.  There really isn't a need to spend more than the cost of an Oppo Blu Ray player.  The Oppos have very good video quality with a very good upscaler.  So much so that the Oppos have a huge cult like following on all the video forums I've been on.  Not to mention their firmware development is excellent and the loading speed of the Oppos with Blu Rays are the best out there.  The units are so good that a manufacturer of high end equipment sells a rebadged version with the high end price mark up.

And for full disclosure, yes, I own an Oppo Blu Ray player.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 6
Oppo all the way. There simply *is* no other BR player :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back