Bloc Party - Silent Alarm, Track 0?
Nov 18, 2005 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mem24

New Head-Fier
Hadn't seen any mention before on Head-Fi and a quick search seemed to confirm this, so I thought I would share this.

While listening to the album on an old PCDP (1990) I came upon a track I had never heard before.

I mean...I've definitely listened to this album straight through a number of times. Pretty surreal, for a second.

So, after getting over a serious "awake or dreaming?" moment I looked over at the track time and it read something like "1 -2:50". So it turns out that there's an instrumental track about three minutes and twenty-two seconds long that leads into "Like Eating Glass". Soft, atmostpheric, I guess.

It was somewhat fortunate that I've been using a cd player that has had problems reading the first tracks on modern cds; here it ended up reading the lead-in to the first track. Switching over to the D-NE300, I got the same thing by rewinding past the "beginning" of the cd.

It's nothing intensely special, but a pleasant surprise and it's too bad that it's not naturally included with the rest of the stellar album.

A piece of curiosity for the Bloc Party fans.

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Ohh nice.
[go checks his CD....]

Dang, its not in the Japanese Edition. Oh well, we get the Mogwai remix of "plans"
icon10.gif

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye for the US version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Strangely that didn't work when I put the stylus an inch outside my vinyl version. It's damaged and the recording wasn't super to begin with anyway (very quiet) so I may buy the CD version given this perk.....or try and find a better pressing. Damn this vinyl loving disease.

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Mmm, vinyl.

I guess money is short for me, so I wouldn't get the cd version just for this perk. If you know a way to rip the lead-in to a computer file, and you have an mp3 player (I don't), then I'd understand. As it is, I'm happy enough with the rest of the album to not bother every time I pop it in, but maybe another person can chime in on matters of worth.

Can anyone else confirm this or am I going nuts?

Edit: Actually, I listened to it again. Quite pleasant.

The title of the thread is slightly misleading (oops). The track will be pre-Track 1 rather than designated as Track 0.

Edit 2: Since zChan mentioned it, I can only confirm for the US cd version.

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrade Penguin
Strangely that didn't work when I put the stylus an inch outside my vinyl version. It's damaged and the recording wasn't super to begin with anyway (very quiet) so I may buy the CD version given this perk.....or try and find a better pressing. Damn this vinyl loving disease.

I have the vinyl as well...no track 0
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mem24
Mmm, vinyl.

I guess money is short for me, so I wouldn't get the cd version just for this perk. If you know a way to rip the lead-in to a computer file, and you have an mp3 player (I don't), then I'd understand.

Nah I'm only considering it cause some lovely person left a towel on the vinyl at a party and the edge is a bit crinkled :p.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 8
So, I am assuming that nine years on the mystery of  Every Time Is the Last Time has been resolved. A CD only bonus track that is accessible by holding rewind before starting track one. A great song, though only in the context of a prelude to Like Eating Glass.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back