Blind Test 2
Oct 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #46 of 57
There's also a major psychoacoustic effect in Hi-Fi. That's why you should always go in skeptical. If you're always looking for an improvement, you'll find it, regardless of whether it's there or not.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #47 of 57

Quote:
There's also a major psychoacoustic effect in Hi-Fi. That's why you should always go in skeptical. If you're always looking for an improvement, you'll find it, regardless of whether it's there or not.

I am sorry I can bear this no longer !

The word you are looking for is Psychological - Psychology and Physics intersect in Psychophysics of which Psychoacoustics is a sub-branch and concerned with how sound is perceived related to the actual stiumlae presented,  but you are really talking about expectations and cognitive biases altering our perceptions of sound when nothing has really changed , this is really more properly a matter of straight Psychology.

It is a small point I know but I wasted spent 4 years of my life getting a brace of degrees in Psychology and sometimes the right word is important
wink.gif

Aanl-retentive rant over !

Oh and I agree with you by and large, although one could also argue that going in skeptical might prime you to not hear changes that are there ? 

What we really need is some method of blinding us to whether or not a stimulus has changed , what could that be ?

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #48 of 57
Some details on B stuck out more than on A. However, they basically sounded the same to me. If this was tested on something with more details known to get lost in bitrates than it might be easier. For example some MJ songs have a lot of room sounds that get lost as soon as you drop the bitrate.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #49 of 57

Quote:

I am sorry I can bear this no longer !

The word you are looking for is Psychological - Psychology and Physics intersect in Psychophysics of which Psychoacoustics is a sub-branch and concerned with how sound is perceived related to the actual stiumlae presented,  but you are really talking about expectations and cognitive biases altering our perceptions of sound when nothing has really changed , this is really more properly a matter of straight Psychology.

It is a small point I know but I wasted spent 4 years of my life getting a brace of degrees in Psychology and sometimes the right word is important
wink.gif

Aanl-retentive rant over !

Oh and I agree with you by and large, although one could also argue that going in skeptical might prime you to not hear changes that are there ? 

What we really need is some method of blinding us to whether or not a stimulus has changed , what could that be ?

Thanks for the clarification.

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #50 of 57
B sounds nicer

Although I have trouble getting 10/10 for abx. I'll always do pretty well for the first 5 trials then after that I start making wrong choices
frown.gif

Perhaps its the fatigue from concentrating and trying to find the differences.

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #51 of 57
Quote:
Congratulations to some of you, you are right. The files are both lossless.  However, there were some who claimed they heard different things.  This goes to show that it is very easy to think you hear things in listening, but in reality they is not.  Alot of members claims on head-fi, if not most, are utter bs.  So believe what you hear guys, not what others think they do.

Quote:
IPodPJ said:

B is the higher quality.  Just listen to the space around the vocals.

Quote:
silverxxx said:

I got 7/9 abx score, the cymbals are darker one one of them.I guess it's b, higher quality

Quote:
santacore said:

Not quite as obvious, but still pretty easy to tell.

B is the higher res. file.

Quote:
Thecoolguy said:

Can't tell much of a difference either, but B sounds a little better.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #52 of 57
wow ok I feel really stupid now. The answer was actually released already and I still got it wrong
eek.gif

No wonder my abx tests weren't working well, although I must have been pretty lucky to get 5/5 a couple of times.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #53 of 57
Yeah I guess 5/5 was due to luck, it happens.
Doing at least 10 trials doesn't eliminate luck, but randomly picking 8/9/10 of 10 right is much more unlikely.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #54 of 57

Quote:
Yeah I guess 5/5 was due to luck, it happens.
Doing at least 10 trials doesn't eliminate luck, but randomly picking 8/9/10 of 10 right is much more unlikely.

Also FooBar's randomizer is not all that random, I have had 7/9 just always answering A = X without listening, 20 trials is better.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:
Also FooBar's randomizer is not all that random, I have had 7/9 just always answering A = X without listening, 20 trials is better.

It is, and uses a strong PRNG, afaik.

7/9 still has a probability of guessing of 9%. 9% is alot. It should be at least below 5%.

The problem with 20 trails is fatigue, in my opinion anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back