Birthday present for me!! Budget 600$ Headphone/amp/dac setup for jazz/classical college student Macbook Pro!
Oct 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #46 of 53
Update: Tried my other headphones in it... they also clipped on the same tracks! Ruling out the headphone possibility... Glad it's not defective headphones----

Problem Possibilieties:

O2/odac defect ??
Ac/Ac adpator not good enough ??
Low quality music files ??
Macbook pro something??

Going to get some CDs and try them to make sure it's not just spotify itunes... 

The Problems:
** Clipping on certain tracks
** Very weak bass
** Volume seems terribly low and have to bump it to 6.5.v and 50 % volume knob to my listening preference which is just loud enough so that I can hear everything....

Is this sounding more like a weak power adaptor supply problem??? 

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #47 of 53
Are you feeding it from a Windows machine or a Mac?

Edit - sorry, I see its from a Macbook. Are your audio settings correct? What software are you using?

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 53
So, called up JDS... They said I probably should go with custom gain setting of 3.5v

As far as the clipping--- I have no other way to test the same files on 2 computers ( at least the ones that were clipping). However, I did crank some tunes with low bass and high treb on a windows computer and it was much better. I think it has to do with the quality of the sound files, they are iTunes store bought files and spotify so I can imagine that it's not good quality recording. Does this clipping often occur with high quality headphones and these two? 

however... I ran my 400is directly through a Kindle fire HD (lol) and used spotify on the tracks that were clipping on my mac through the amp... no clipping! what does this mean??

Not running through any special program.. should I??

( I am getting some Cds, but idk if it will be better or not) 

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #49 of 53
  Update: Tried my other headphones in it... they also clipped on the same tracks! Ruling out the headphone possibility... Glad it's not defective headphones----

Problem Possibilities:

O2/odac defect ??
Ac/Ac adpater not good enough ??
Low quality music files ??
Macbook pro something??

Going to get some CDs and try them to make sure it's not just spotify itunes... 

Is this sounding more like a weak power adapter supply problem??? 

One time I was hearing clipping and I thought it might be the AAC 256 file, but it turned out that it was actually on the original disc.

Are you hearing clipping on those tracks using HE400i straight from your MBP? If not, we have reason to suppose that O2+ODAC is the problem. If yes, we know it isn't that.

I'm fairly certain you don't need a stronger adapter; you shouldn't with HE400i.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #50 of 53
It's not the files then, nor the headphones, it must be the O2/ODAC, which sucks. I don't understand why it's clipping... thousands of people must use that combo with those gain settings! The 6.5 gain is set to be the max gain you can have before clipping the amp (clips at 13V IIRC,  V_ODAC * Gain = 2*6.5 = 13V.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #51 of 53
Perhaps and if so I apologize but the 400i shouldn't need 6.5x gain.

It's not the files then, nor the headphones, it must be the O2/ODAC, which sucks. I don't understand why it's clipping... thousands of people must use that combo with those gain settings! The 6.5 gain is set to be the max gain you can have before clipping the amp (clips at 13V IIRC,  V_ODAC * Gain = 2*6.5 = 13V.

I will mention that you need to make sure the Volume on your Mac is set to it's highest setting, as your mac has a "digital" volume that is applies to the data going out, this exists on a PC to it's not some mac exclusive issue. There are ofc programs that will bypass this digital adjustment

how ever make sure everything in your GUI is on max, I actually have my Audio Player set to -10dbs which usually works nice since I tend to EQ up some times it keeps stuff from clipping, but when I max out my amp I notice some clipping? WHY well because I've got the digital Volume set low and I'm amping the schiit out of a weak signal, thus I adjust my Volume in my player. Which let's my Dac process a stronger Line out which means I can turn the voltage on my amp down and get less clipping

The 400i is an ortho, and while it is efficent they do like some power, meaning don't have any un nessicary decreased in your Volume

also JDS Labs is pretty cool about repair and custom settings, it sholdn't cost to much [aside from shipping] to get the unit repaired and set on a custom Gain Setting, Let us know what they offer you. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #52 of 53
So aside from the clipping on some tracks... the sound is very very neutral. Really the only music i listen to with these is vocal music and acoustic/singer songwriter. ( Frank sinatra sounds nice...) Otherwise i use my MONSTER IN EAR TURBINE GOLDS (300$ vs this 900$ set up). The sound is far from intimate and the only warmth is supplied in the mid range which dominates the low end. The highs are present. It does have it's moments, but the lack of low end just takes so much away from the music in my opinion. Thanks for the recommendations but this just wasn't what i was looking for.  I would say these are kind of specialized as you may find 10% of the tracks out of your music library that sound amazing ( the solo instrument/soft backround + solo vocal tracks) as said in the comments above. But really cant handle other genres

i.m.o - lack of bass -
mids dominate the rest of the band -
highs good, but not balanced which is dangerous as you will turn up the volume to compensate for the lack of bass.

Just my two cents, but what do i know!
Thanks y'all
Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back