Big difference in sound between pc and cd player?
Nov 26, 2004 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Fido

Head-Fier
Hey

I am about to equip my self with an amp, but just came to wonder. Do I also need a dedicated cd player. Right now i'm running my headphones out of my terreatec 7.1 space soundcard.

If You think that I should get a dedicated cd player, then my budget would be about 200$ (This is soonest going to be a couple of months from now, so I can't get one of those by now and save some money on that :S)

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 7
Heh... even my extremely cheap onboard sound card's dacs are better than what you'll find on most (sony, panasonic, you name the brand) $300 cdplayers. I'm not kidding. I've never really heard anything more expensive than a Live! and a Sony what-um-a-call-it standalone CDP worth $350, but you'd be A LOT BETTER off getting a nice soundcard for those $200 .

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 7
My suggestion is to get an E-MU 0404 and stop thinking about getting a dedicated CD player until you have at least $500 to spend.

Nov 26, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 7
IMO the amp will be a worthwhile addition regardless. You will hear a difference, and I think you'll like what you hear. Live with it for a while and then decide whether you want to upgrade the soundcard or go with a free-standing cdp. I've gotten so addicted to the convenience and sound quality of my computer audio rig I just rip new discs to the drive as they arrive.

BW

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
My suggestion is to get an E-MU 0404 and stop thinking about getting a dedicated CD player until you have at least $500 to spend.

And the rest
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back