Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X Anniversary model
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #91 of 102
Honestly depends if you can get used to or like the v-shaped sound and what system you use as well. Maybe some mild changes but the headphone will likely stay quite v-shaped unless intense pad wear happens.

Does the 770 pro X have that new thick front filter cover or the plain black foam disc of the past?

Sometimes I think with slightly V shaped sharp headphones, they are meant to be played at lower volumes and not cranked too high.
I do recall I doubled the black foam discs on the 990 pro 250.

1714257675942.jpeg

:D

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #92 of 102
Does the 770 pro X have that new thick front filter cover or the plain black foam disc of the past?

Sometimes I think with slightly V shaped sharp headphones, they are meant to be played at lower volumes and not cranked too high.
I do recall I doubled the black foam discs on the 990 pro 250.

1714257675942.jpeg

:D
Just the normal black foam disk found on the DT 990, 770, etc. I could try the DT 700/900 Pro X foams on it sometime. There is also the Tygr 300 R foams (I think the Amiron Wireless uses them too) but haven't heard that headphone yet.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #94 of 102
Adding one piece of kitchen roll in front of the drivers as well as closing 75 percent of the bass ports with tape gives you good results.

1714288542427.png

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #96 of 102
Finally joined the 770 Pro X club today... I've always loved a good V tuning :) Haven't had much ear time, but so far the Stellar continues to impress.

Some family pics alongside the 770(80), 700 Pro X and 1770 Pro.
7Fam.jpg
20240429_142004_HDR.jpg
20240429_142255_HDR.jpg
Same I enjoy a good V-shape tuning myself, but sadly haven't had a true v-shape headphone for many years (many were what I call more of a warm V-shape) until I got the DT 770 Pro X so it's a nice change and I forgot how much I like it. The headphone has impressed me quite a bit and it's such a good value for the sound quality.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #97 of 102
Finally joined the 770 Pro X club today... I've always loved a good V tuning :) Haven't had much ear time, but so far the Stellar continues to impress.

Some family pics alongside the 770(80), 700 Pro X and 1770 Pro.

WOW! that's an nice collection, I own DT1990 and 1770 Pro myself, and I love the Beyer sound (after EQ)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #100 of 102
Sadly have to exchange my unit, I was noticing occasional weird glarey distortion especially in vocals and weird what seems phasing issues here and there on the left side, I thought it may of been cable issues at first so swapped them around but it didn't correct the occasional weirdness I got with the sound on the left side; so I decided to see if I could see anything wrong with the left driver visually, then saw a small dent in the driver, it's hard to see in the picture, but circled the dented area. Also showing the rear of the driver and the inside of the earcups so people can see what it looks like up close. I have a replacement unit coming should have it by Friday.

IMG_8716.jpeg

IMG_8715.jpeg
IMG_8712.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #101 of 102
How do you compare the new 770 pro X to the 700?
Sorry it took a while to reply... my head time with these is a bit limited still, as I keep going back to my Fostex stable these days (it is what it is).

From the initial sessions I've run the 770 pro X through, I would say it is much less of a professional tuning and more for long term pleasure listening. The aggressive treble emphasis in particular limits listening volumes, so these are best employed for long term sessions in quieter environments (something their comfort plays well into as well) - it also makes the timbre a bit less accurate than the 700 pro, but both are pretty compromised in this respect with the closed back enclosure.

If I had to pick one it would be the 700 pro without a doubt. The 770 pro X is a fun departure for collectors but it isn't really a pro tuning.

Sadly have to exchange my unit, I was noticing occasional weird glarey distortion especially in vocals and weird what seems phasing issues here and there on the left side, I thought it may of been cable issues at first so swapped them around but it didn't correct the occasional weirdness I got with the sound on the left side; so I decided to see if I could see anything wrong with the left driver visually, then saw a small dent in the driver, it's hard to see in the picture, but circled the dented area. Also showing the rear of the driver and the inside of the earcups so people can see what it looks like up close. I have a replacement unit coming should have it by Friday.

IMG_8716.jpeg
IMG_8715.jpegIMG_8712.jpeg

:frowning2: Sorry to hear/see this, kman.

It is discouraging to see these type of QA issues lingering with the new Stellar drivers... I had hoped that production issues like this were a bygone thing for Beyer with their much marketed new automated assembly for Stellar.

May 2, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #102 of 102
Sorry it took a while to reply... my head time with these is a bit limited still, as I keep going back to my Fostex stable these days (it is what it is).

From the initial sessions I've run the 770 pro X through, I would say it is much less of a professional tuning and more for long term pleasure listening. The aggressive treble emphasis in particular limits listening volumes, so these are best employed for long term sessions in quieter environments (something their comfort plays well into as well) - it also makes the timbre a bit less accurate than the 700 pro, but both are pretty compromised in this respect with the closed back enclosure.

If I had to pick one it would be the 700 pro without a doubt. The 770 pro X is a fun departure for collectors but it isn't really a pro tuning.

:frowning2: Sorry to hear/see this, kman.

It is discouraging to see these type of QA issues lingering with the new Stellar drivers... I had hoped that production issues like this were a bygone thing for Beyer with their much marketed new automated assembly for Stellar.
Thank you; not sure why that happened. It was getting more noticeable as I used them, not sure if it was getting worse or if I was noticing it more. Yeah that’s why I buy on Amazon in case this happens, sadly still seems some QC issues, but I’ve had QC issues with other brands as well even ones with what is considered good QC. I guess automating the process doesn’t eliminate all potential QC issues. The problem could’ve happened outside of the driver assembly process such as when the headphone was being assembled or sometime during packing or shipment.

Luckily the replacement is coming in today, shipped my defective unit back yesterday. Amazon makes replacements and returns easy so that’s good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back