Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro vs Audeze MM-100
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kiwilove123

New Head-Fier
I'm deciding between getting the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and Audeze MM-100 for professional audio production, mixing, and mastering, specifically in electronic music.

I was able to listen to the mm100 at CanJam NYC and it felt pretty neutral with a decent balance between all frequency ranges. However, since Beyerdynamic wasn't at CanJam and I don't know any other places where I can compare the two headphones, does anyone have experience listening to both headphones? If so, what do you guys think are the main differences?

Looking at some reviews online, it seems like the 1990 might have a boost in highs which isn't ideal in achieving a neutral sound and the mm100 seems to not have replaceable pads which I'm not sure if its a dealbreaker for me.

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 3
The headphones.com review of the Audeze is pretty brutal -- especially about comfort, which is really going to matter in the studio.
https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/audeze-mm-100-mid-fi-mainstay-or-missed-opportunity

Since you are looking in that price range I have to recommend the ATH-R70X. It really sounds like exactly what you want in the studio. I've had mine for more than a year, hours of listening a day, and they are barely showing any wear. (And they do have replaceable pads, which I certainly thought I'd be ordering by now.)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Another Beyer that's supposed to be flatter, without the (in)famous Beyer treble peaks, is the DT 900 Pro X. I have the closed-back version, the DT 700 Pro X, and it's very solid for a closed-back with some nice bass thump, but the ATH-R70X is better.

Thomann has the best US price and a free return policy; you'd pay shipping both ways -- but you'll want to keep them. :)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 3
I have the DT1990 and for mixing I'd go with something more neutral like the Sennheiser HD600 or Hifiman HE5xx. They're fun, but don't you want them flatter in profile since you want to hear things how they are, with no tuning added? Even the Beyerdynamic DT900 would be a better choice for that. They're fun without the fatigue from a treble peak for long term sessions with them. I currently have on an HE5xx and the SMSL DO300EX and it's amazing, with all day comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back