Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 17, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #2,656 of 4,790
Geez. Am I the only one that uses the balanced pads? Seems like there used to be more parity between the two, but now most prefer the analytical pads. I've never even bothered trying the A-pads because I've never felt the need. For one thing, I lurve dat bass.:L3000: (<< That's very obviously not a DT 1990, but he doesn't care; he's bopping along to the bass)

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #2,657 of 4,790
I was wondering the same thing about the balanced pads. I love them and much prefer them over the analytical pads. I gave the analytical pads an entire week and realized that they sucked the magic out of these wonderful headphones. It wasn't that they were bad - they were just boring to me.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,658 of 4,790
Geez. Am I the only one that uses the balanced pads? Seems like there used to be more parity between the two, but now most prefer the analytical pads. I've never even bothered trying the A-pads because I've never felt the need. For one thing, I lurve dat bass.:L3000: (<< That's very obviously not a DT 1990, but he doesn't care; he's bopping along to the bass)
No you are not alone. When I had them I preferred the balanced pads for the same reasons. I did like the detail of the analytical pads. If the analytical pads had the same bass performance of the the balanced pads then they would've been my preference. Using the Hugo 2 with the DT1990's and balanced pads brought the detail level up to that of the analytical pads. So it was how I listened to them.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,659 of 4,790

At one time I think Balanced was the more common preference but it does appear to have switched. You'll never know which you prefer unless you try both. :triportsad:

The problem with big bass is that it can intrude into the mid-range. The HD 650 is a good example of this, as is the DT 1990 with Balanced pads. I don't like muddy lower mids and chesty sounding male vocals. I want accuracy, hence Analytical. Of even greater concern to me is the emphasized sibilance I hear with the Balanced pads. The Dekoni Elite Velour pads have bass in between the Beyerdynamic pads, but also exaggerate sibilants.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,660 of 4,790
At one time I think Balanced was the more common preference but it does appear to have switched. You'll never know which you prefer unless you try both. :triportsad:

The problem with big bass is that it can intrude into the mid-range. The HD 650 is a good example of this, as is the DT 1990 with Balanced pads. I don't like muddy lower mids and chesty sounding male vocals. I want accuracy, hence Analytical. Of even greater concern to me is the emphasized sibilance I hear with the Balanced pads. The Dekoni Elite Velour pads have bass in between the Beyerdynamic pads, but also exaggerate sibilants.
I guess my attitude is that I enjoy the balanced pads and have never heard the analytical pads, so I don't have a preference one way or another, but I know that I like the balanced... Why change what I know I like?
I've never found either the DT 1990's or the HD 650's* bass to intrude into the mids. I sometimes wonder if this is just preference or if there's an actual difference in our hearing? On the other hand, if I've gotten used to the HD 650 or DT 1990, the PM-3 can sound a little thick in the lower mids, but once I get used to it, they can sound very warm and pleasing... Conversely, if I'm used to the PM-3 (or my UM Pro 50), the HD 650 and DT 1990 sound thin.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the balanced pads. I was beginning to feel lonely and misunderstood. :sniffle:

*Speaking of the HD 650, I've noticed that the talk now is that they sound better and less "veiled" (*sigh*) with new pads, while a few years ago people were saying the exact opposite. This just deepens my suspicion that many people have little-to-no idea what they're talking about.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,661 of 4,790
I guess my attitude is that I enjoy the balanced pads and have never heard the analytical pads, so I don't have a preference one way or another, but I know that I like the balanced... Why change what I know I like?
I've never found either the DT 1990's or the HD 650's* bass to intrude into the mids. I sometimes wonder if this is just preference or if there's an actual difference in our hearing? On the other hand, if I've gotten used to the HD 650 or DT 1990, the PM-3 can sound a little thick in the lower mids, but once I get used to it, they can sound very warm and pleasing... Conversely, if I'm used to the PM-3 (or my UM Pro 50), the HD 650 and DT 1990 sound thin.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys the balanced pads. I was beginning to feel lonely and misunderstood. :sniffle:

*Speaking of the HD 650, I've noticed that the talk now is that they sound better and less "veiled" (*sigh*) with new pads, while a few years ago people were saying the exact opposite. This just deepens my suspicion that many people have little-to-no idea what they're talking about.

I actually prefer the balanced pads myself and my review of the DT 1990 compared to the Amiron Home is of it with the B-pads, I could never get myself to stick with the A pads more than a few hours, I always went back to the B pads; just noticed many seem to prefer the analytical. I personally like both the Amiron Home and T1.2 more than the DT 1990 though. I never found the DT 1990 B pads or the HD 650 bass to intrude into the mids either. I don’t even have problems with that on the Nighthawk. I always preferred the HD 650 with worn pads personally.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,662 of 4,790
I actually prefer the balanced pads myself and my review of the DT 1990 compared to the Amiron Home is of it with the B-pads, I could never get myself to stick with the A pads more than a few hours, I always went back to the B pads; just noticed many seem to prefer the analytical. I personally like both the Amiron Home and T1.2 more than the DT 1990 though. I never found the DT 1990 B pads or the HD 650 bass to intrude into the mids either. I don’t even have problems with that on the Nighthawk. I always preferred the HD 650 with worn pads personally.
Ha! Finally, a sane person!

Also, I blame you for me owning the DT 1990. It was your enthusiasm and descriptions that convinced me.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #2,663 of 4,790

I just realized that I probably just implied that you don't know what you're talking about. Gah. I'm a jerk and I apologize. I was trying to make a joke, not insult anybody. You don't post much, but I usually enjoy and agree with what you have to say. (In fact, there's another user that had a similar avatar to yours and a kind of similar name, and I kept wondering why you kept saying so many things that I didn't agree with. I felt like a dope after having a conversation with this guy and then realizing I wasn't talking to you.)

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,664 of 4,790
Have any DT 1990 Pro owners here compared it against the Focal Elear?

I find my DT 1990 Pro a significant upgrade over the HD650 in terms of bass depth and slam - but was wondering if the Elear would be another step up from the DT 1990 Pro in that area?

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,665 of 4,790
I bought the Amiron first, had them with the DT 1990 for a week, sent the Amiron back, too dark for me.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #2,668 of 4,790
Good to hear you’re enjoying them. How long have you had the DT 1990?
...Hmmm... Maybe two years? Can't remember off the top of my head. I think it was a year or so after this thread was started. I wanted something that could play more aggressively than my HD 650.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #2,669 of 4,790
Have any DT 1990 Pro owners here compared it against the Focal Elear?

I find my DT 1990 Pro a significant upgrade over the HD650 in terms of bass depth and slam - but was wondering if the Elear would be another step up from the DT 1990 Pro in that area?

The Elear to my ears.is not a good headphone.
To compete with the DT1990 you have to take at least the Clear if you want to give Focal a try.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,670 of 4,790
Hi guys

Have any of you tried a THX amp such as the SMSL SP200 paired with the DT 1990 ?
I am considering going for this amp. Currently have an old Firestone audio Fubar III that I will try using as DAC only.

I guess I am just curious to try something new after having used the Fubar for twelve years :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back