BestBuy component video cable- good idea or don't waste my time?
Aug 27, 2003 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm going to be buying a TV and plugging my xbox into it via component video. The component video connector pack you buy for the xbox has some freebie cable you can use but it looks pretty paltry and thin. I'm sure it'll get the job done- but I was thinking while I was at it I might pick up some beefier cabling. Here's the BB online listing for component cables- I'm skipping all the monster stuff but how do those RCA or Acoustic Research cables look? I went down to BB and had a look-see for myself and the build quality looked ok, I was wondering if any of you guys had experience using RCA or AR cables, be it video or audio. They go for about $30 so I figure it's not too expensive to try out.

Acoustic Research 6' Component Cable

RCA 6' Component Video Cable

Ruahrc

PS- the RCA package sports the fancy title "Digital Component Video" But we all know that component video is still analog isn't it?

edit: link no worky. I just posted links to the 2 products in particular

Aug 27, 2003 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 12
If there wasn't an evil connector box I would say you can save some money and get something else but I have a feeling that the Monster cables are the best simply cause they give you a direct connection. I haven't done any A/B but you might as well go with the Monsters given the AR stuff costs $30.

Aug 27, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Component video supposedly has THE BEST or "HDTV" quality. I haven't ever had it or paid for the connection for it, but it's worth a shot.

Aug 27, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 12
If you are looking for beefy and quality build and noticable performance improvement...I suggest the Component Video Cable from Signal Cable. Not sure what your budget is, but these are a bargain for the performance they deliver.

On my interlaced Sony viewing DVDs I get more detail, truer colors, and even seemingly less scan lines visible. Although I know this is not technically possible..I think the eye popping detail distracts from seeing the scan lines.

Signal Cable Component Video

John

Aug 27, 2003 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 12
The AR component cable is absolute crap. Do not buy it under any circumstance. I made that mistake and the picture was far worse than the cheap stock cables (red, white, and yellow) that came with my DVD player.

I’m not much a believer of video cables making a difference.

Aug 27, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm beginning to agree with arnett somewhat. Neither of those $30 component video cables would be much - if any - improvement over what came free with a DVD player or the xBox accessory pack. And Monster Cable's lower-end cables - their 1.5m component video cable costs twice as much $$ as either of those $30 cables - have gotten a lot of negative reviews, as well.

You might as well either stick with the DVD-player (or xBox accessory pack) freebie cables - or spend hundreds of $$$ on a cable that's a TRUE upgrade. Or connect the xBox to your TV set via the standard composite video or S-video connection.

Aug 27, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
You might as well either stick with the DVD-player freebie cables - or spend hundreds of $$$ on a cable that's a TRUE upgrade.

i bought a new TV recently (non-HDTV) to use mainly with my sony interlaced DVD player (i.e., non-progressive scan). the TV has component, composite, and s-video inputs. i went over to my local audio/video store and plunked down big bucks ($70
biggrin.gif
) for a set of audioquest YIQ-X component video cables.

the audioquest cables looked good. and then i swapped them for the cheap freebie cables that came with my DVD player (red, white, yellow). i tried to detect subtle differences but i couldn't see any. and i mean NO differences. i ended up taking the audioquest back.

then i went to best buy and picked up those AR component cables -- thinking they would be at least constructed better than the freebies. but, to my surprise, they looked really horrible. noticeable red and blue streaking / distortion. consequently, i’m using the freebies and don’t plan on upgrading anytime soon.

Aug 27, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

The AR component cable is absolute crap. Do not buy it under any circumstance. I made that mistake and the picture was far worse than the cheap stock cables (red, white, and yellow) that came with my DVD player.

You're contradicting yourself.

tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
You're contradicting yourself.

tongue.gif

well i guess it's a bit contradictory to say, "I’m not much a believer of video cables making a difference" and then describe a difference between cables.
what i'm trying to say is that i'm not much a believer in expensive video cables making much of a difference.

as for the AR component cables, they are truly an exception of crap.
tongue.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah and at $300 for the 1m cable, I would hope that the voodoo cables outperform the $99 monster
biggrin.gif

Howie- when you said Monster Cables are you referring to their GameLink cables? You're right they don't have any little box- would those (at $60) be a good benefit then?

What about component video cables from RadioShack? Those any good?

Ruahrc

Aug 28, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 12
I use the ZuCable Megular component cables. You can pick these up on ebay straight from Zu for $60 - $70 for a 1 - 2 meter cable. I see a difference when compared to the stock cables that came with my dvd player and hd set top box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back