Best Windows OS for my 900mhz processor?
Jan 6, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could run OS X on there with a little tweaking (though you are going to have to PM me if you want the details)

P3 is only SSE1, not SSE2 capable so no OS X. you have to go at least P4 to run OS X. yeah, dampened some of my plans too.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get nLite and put XP on it if you like XP, it can be made really light. My version uses less than 14mb of RAM on boot. It'll take a bit of work to get it like you want it though.

Otherwise I'd suggest pretty much any Linux distro.

This software is freeking awesome. I'm donating to the author. Now, until they make a version for Vista.

edit: i found out it's called vlite. This is great.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #49 of 51
Security patches and driver support is why XP.

IMO it makes no sense to run anything other than a stripped down XP. Its essentially the same as W2K but far more stable than 98 and earlier verions. It runs as fast if not faster than W2K and 98se. But the BIG thing with XP is vastly better driver support, AND Windows update to get the latest patches and fixes for security.

I've run it on machines with 192MB RAM and 400mhz CPU's. For general office stuff its fine. You just have to turn off all the crud and services you don't need.
Learning to do this is a very good thing to learn. As you should be aware services you are running and thus be aware when something unsual starts running in there. You shoud do the same on computer even if its very latest and fastest one.

Or go with Linux, but thats a whole different learning curve.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #50 of 51
I have a similar machine using 98SE and and XUbuntu (xfce interface is the only one i can get to install) both work well enough. Ubuntu is really easy and cheap (read: free) and a great way to make old hardware work again.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #51 of 51
Please don't install Win95/98/ME. Let that kernel die in peace; it served its purpose of advancing computing for a few years and then was taken out back and shot like it needed to be. 2000 isn't a bad choice, but I agree with the stripped down XP SP2 (for security) logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back