Best way to hook up PSA Directstream?
Apr 10, 2018 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Nevermind, solved. quality equipment, quality cables+no audible difference. There are differences between cables but not the format. Each has it's plusses and minuses but at the end of the day the most always come out sounding the same.

I have a choice of a Audioquest Diamond Coaxial or Toslink.
Long story but it is free so not looking at other brands.

People are torn on Coax Vs. Tos. In regard only to the Directstream which do you prefer?
I cannot use AES. According to PSA all inputs sound same but we know better. Unfortunately I cannot try both.
For $1,300+ cable I like to ask you guy's first. If it was $100 cable, pull a straw.

Then, Can I use the I2S from the HDMI on a DVD player to the Directstream with a HDMI cable?
Afaik, no but checking on DS.

Looks like my other post dried up, sorry for new post. Just not sure which cable since I am now getting a choice of either free. I had asked before I know but I only had one cable then. So I want to get the best sound of course.

I am sorry I had so many questions about DS, it is like stupid came over me :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Nevermind, solved. quality equipment, quality cables+no audible difference. There are differences between cables but not the format. Each has it's plusses and minuses but at the end of the day the most always come out sounding the same.

I have a choice of a Audioquest Diamond Coaxial or Toslink.
Long story but it is free so not looking at other brands.

People are torn on Coax Vs. Tos. In regard only to the Directstream which do you prefer?
I cannot use AES. According to PSA all inputs sound same but we know better. Unfortunately I cannot try both.
For $1,300+ cable I like to ask you guy's first. If it was $100 cable, pull a straw.

Then, Can I use the I2S from the HDMI on a DVD player to the Directstream with a HDMI cable?
Afaik, no but checking on DS.

Looks like my other post dried up, sorry for new post. Just not sure which cable since I am now getting a choice of either free. I had asked before I know but I only had one cable then. So I want to get the best sound of course.

I am sorry I had so many questions about DS, it is like stupid came over me :)

I would choose TOSlink.

If the sample rate limitations are not an issue, Ted Smith recommends optical due to it's superior ground / leakage current loop isolation compared to all other inputs - unless the source of other inputs are running off battery of course.

I think he mostly uses USB himself but that's because of his DSD (including double rate) collection and he likes using Foobar.

Don't worry about jitter - it's a solved issue with the DAC's of Ted Smith, Rob Watts etc.

As long as the optical chain works up to 192kHz (i.e. your optical source and optical cable are capable up to 192kHz) you're good to go!

You will know if your chain isn't up to the task of 24/192 - you will hear dropouts, static, pauses etc etc. You can also run Ted's 24/192 bit perfect test file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back