Best way to Fix scratched and dirty CD's
Jan 26, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Don't scratch them in the first place. And if you put them back in their cases when not in use, they'll never get a layer of dust and grime on them.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Now thats the best advice yet!

Except I buy some used CDs. And I have kids. And I have butter fingers at times.
frown.gif

Quote:

Sheesh. Good thing you guys aren't into vinyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

well, actually.....
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
over and under 12 guage

[size=medium]PULL[/size]

cool.gif

biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have a pellet trap in the garage for discs that rainX won't fix.

Jan 26, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #19 of 27
I bought Skip Doctor a year ago and just used it on three discs. They became unplayable. Finally, I found SkippyDisc.com in the net and send this three discs to them. They return the discs to almost perfect shinning and (most important) perfect playability, all that for a few bucks. You cant beat their professional machines with home methods.
Discs are very delicate, let this job to professionals.

Jan 26, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by sacriste
I bought Skip Doctor a year ago and just used it on three discs. They became unplayable. Finally, I found SkippyDisc.com in the net and send this three discs to them. They return the discs to almost perfect shinning and (most important) perfect playability, all that for a few bucks. You cant beat their professional machines with home methods.
Discs are very delicate, let this job to professionals.

That would quickly become too expensive for me, since (as I mentioned previously) I have three children, and many discs to clean/repair. I have used the "Wipe Out!" CD repair kit many times, on both CDs and DVDs, and it has always worked perfectly for me. It does not leave the disc surface perfectly shiny, as if it were new. But it does leave it clear enough for the laser to shine through and work again. I have not tried rain-x before, but may do so to restore the shine. Does anyone know what the refractive index of rain-x is? If it's a close match to the polycarbonate used in CDs & DVDs, it will make a perfect repair. Even without it, though, my discs have been easily returned to working condition.

Jan 27, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #23 of 27
Run under water, wipe clean with a non-abrasive cloth, apply auric illuminator. Not only does that clean the disc, it repairs minor scratches and reduces the static attraction to dust.

Some people say it makes their discs sound better, but I'm not going to start an argument on that

Jan 27, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #24 of 27
I used to use a product called 'laser guide' seemed like silicon
oil to me.
It definitely changed the sound.I believe it was supposed to
improve Light transmission at the disk surface and reduce
diffusion thus reducing the amount of error correction needed.
I thought the change was definitely for the better.
I also found olive oil produced similar results,but left a residue.

Thoughts?

Setmenu

Jan 27, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu
I used to use a product called 'laser guide' seemed like silicon
oil to me.
It definitely changed the sound.I believe it was supposed to
improve Light transmission at the disk surface and reduce
diffusion thus reducing the amount of error correction needed.
I thought the change was definitely for the better.
I also found olive oil produced similar results,but left a residue.

Thoughts?

Setmenu

Thats what the rainX and any of the other "coating" methods are doing (or attempting to do).

Basically, to remove actual scratches, two methods have been described : (three if you count the methods involving firearms
wink.gif
)

1. Coat the disc with something to fill in the scratches. The idea is to fill the scratch with something that will dry(hopefully) to a transparent solid. Downside: doesn't usually work well on deep scratches, results may not always be permanate even with proper care.

2. Resurface (ie polish) the surface the laser reads to remove scratches. Downside: difficult to do manually, expensive professionally, results usually can not be undone.

NOTE: These should be the last ditch attempts to recover a disc that isn't playable (use your own definition of playable).

I wouldn't recommend either method for trying to improve the sound of the disc (although, its thought by many that it might ).

Personally, I would recommend trying the coating method first, and the second method only if the desired results (playablility as you define it - its your disc) are not achived.

If all else fails, as we say in my neighborhood....

[size=small]Target Practice!!! Hey, Ya'll! Taaarget Practice!!![/size]

Pull!

Jan 27, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 27
I used the laser guide on new disks with good effect I do not
think it was sold a fix for damage.

It never ceases to amaze me the small changes in audio one can
detect be it cables time of day etc etc.

BUT directional cables with AC ,
confused.gif
?

I haven't noticed a difference myself[not checked recently!]
You?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back