Best Way to Extract Audio from a DVD (and free!!)
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RockStar2005

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

What's the best way to extract AUDIO ONLY from a DVD?? I've done it before with a blu-ray audio disc, but I'm having a tough time with DVD. I've tried MakeMKV, AudioMuxer, and DVDFab. But the first two merge the audio file into ONE huge file and I don't see a way to split it, and DVDFab splits it by chapters not by songs with video, which also isn't what I want. I simply want audio only and split BY SONG.

Please help!! Looking for a preferably FREE program to do this that isn't too complicated and can split the tracks by song as well.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Handbrake?

You will need a sound editor to do the splitting - Creative, Nero and Roxio all have Wave Editors of varying proficiency. None of them are brilliant but they all sort of get the job done.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 14
Hey @RockStar2005 ..been a while since I chatted with you!
I use DVD AudioExtractor...while not free..it does have a trial. I liked it enough to purchase it. (I think it was 40). If you are ripping a blu-ray..you have to use MKV first to decript. My main use for it was to isolate 5.1 channels on Beatle recordings, but have also done quite a few stereo only.

Bern

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 14
I use DVD AudioExtractor...while not free..it does have a trial. I liked it enough to purchase it. (I think it was 40). If you are ripping a blu-ray..you have to use MKV first to decript. My main use for it was to isolate 5.1 channels on Beatle recordings, but have also done quite a few stereo only.

Bern

Hey Bern!! How ya been?! Well I hope!

So I actually used MakeMKV and then Audiomuxer to extract and divide out the audio from a blu-ray audio disc over summer. The blu-ray had 5.1 and stereo mixes. But when I tried to do the same thing for a DVD disc just recently, I ran into some trouble. Between it and Audiomuxer (which I know you use AFTERWARDS), I got the files, but when I play them, there's no sound, which obviously is a problem! lol

AudioExtractor?? Ok, I will try that out. I'd prefer to just use ONE program anyway. lol As long as you can easily extract audio from it and separate out the songs individually, then that's what I'm looking for. I don't mind it being a trial b/c I'm only gonna (maybe) need it once.

I may also check out Creative, Nero and Roxio again as well technobear.

I'll try it out and get back to you. Thanks!!

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 14

Bern

Hey Bern.................tried Audio Extractor, and it didn't work. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I put the disc in, activated Audio Extractor, open all the chapters from the disc. Chose my output directory (Desktop) and format (FLAC, though I will downsample to AAC later cuz FLAC is a waste of space), and some files were marked as error and didn't get created, while others did. But playing them yielded 0% audio. I can't pinpoint what the issue is. Any idea??

Not sure if it matters, but the disc I'm testing out is a DVD with videos, but the one I may need the program for is a DVD with just audio tracks only. Is there a different approach to these two situations when it comes to using this program?? Please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Hey Bern.................tried Audio Extractor, and it didn't work. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I put the disc in, activated Audio Extractor, open all the chapters from the disc. Chose my output directory (Desktop) and format (FLAC, though I will downsample to AAC later cuz FLAC is a waste of space), and some files were marked as error and didn't get created, while others did. But playing them yielded 0% audio. I can't pinpoint what the issue is. Any idea??

Not sure if it matters, but the disc I'm testing out is a DVD with videos, but the one I may need the program for is a DVD with just audio tracks only. Is there a different approach to these two situations when it comes to using this program?? Please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!
The one I am using is DVD Audio Extractor...here's there site. Not sure if what you grabbed is something different.
http://www.dvdae.com/

Yes...should handle DVD with videos with no problem.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 14
The one I am using is DVD Audio Extractor...here's there site. Not sure if what you grabbed is something different.
http://www.dvdae.com/

Yes...should handle DVD with videos with no problem.

Oh ok. Yeah I should've double-checked with you first. lol The one I used WAS different.

Ok...............so I just tried to install it, but at the end, I selected free trial, and it said my 30 day trial has already ended. ?? lol I don't recall ever using this program. I guess though I could use it on my someone else I know's computer then if you're confident it will work.

Tried Roxio and Nero. No go. For Creative I don't see a free trial.

I guess I will try out DVD AE if needed. Thanks so much Bern and to everyone who contributed! Much appreciated!!

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Oh ok. Yeah I should've double-checked with you first. lol The one I used WAS different.

Ok...............so I just tried to install it, but at the end, I selected free trial, and it said my 30 day trial has already ended. ?? lol I don't recall ever using this program. I guess though I could use it on my someone else I know's computer then if you're confident it will work.

Tried Roxio and Nero. No go. For Creative I don't see a free trial.

I guess I will try out DVD AE if needed. Thanks so much Bern and to everyone who contributed! Much appreciated!!
I once came across something to that effect with something else...ended up my computer was set to the wrong date!
The program is pretty user friendly.

Bern

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 14
I once came across something to that effect with something else...ended up my computer was set to the wrong date!
The program is pretty user friendly.

Bern

I C. Yeah I had that issue as well with the wrong time like a year ago, but I somehow managed to fix it.

That's good to know. I will see what happens when I use it and report back.

Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back