Best way to connect 0404/1212m's dual mono outputs to a stereo mini input?
Jan 16, 2005 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
To prepare for my Go-Vibe's arrival, earlier this week I went to Radio Shack to get some cables & adapters that would let me connect the amp to my 0404.

I ended up coming out with the following:

2 x 6' audio cable (1/4" mono plug to 1/4" mono plug)
1 x adapter that accepts the two 1/4" mono plugs and converts them to one 1/4" stereo plug
1 x adapter that converts the 1/4" stereo plug to 1/8" stereo mini

There has got to be a better way. Not only am I worried about all these cables and adapters reducing my sound quality, it is cumbersome and looks crappy.

Please tell me there is a better solution. I doubt they make a cable that has dual 1/4" mono plugs on one end and a 1/8" mini plug on the other, but if they don't sell something like that, perhaps I could have a custom cable made?

Now I realize the advantage in buying an amp with stereo RCA jacks...they DO make plenty of cables that go from 1/4" mono to RCA.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 3
Probably the most efficient approach, if you're shopping Radio Shack, is the following:

1 2-pack of 1/4"-mono-to-RCA adapters or 2 of the gold-plated version

1 6' dual-RCA-to-1/8"-stereo cable

The two 1/4"-mono-to-RCA adapters go onto the RCA end of the cable and into the 1/4" outputs of the 0404, the 1/8" end goes into the input jack of the amp. That way, you've only got one adapter in each channel, and you don't have a bulky adapter weighing down the connection to the amp. (Since you don't want to stress the mounting of the amp's input jack to the circuit board.) This is the arrangement I'm using for my 0404 and Xin SuperDual.

Of course, if you do want a custom cable, then go to Headphile and have Larry (Xanadu777 here on Head-Fi) build you a custom E-MU cable, which is one of his standard configurations. (I.e., dual 1/4" mono to either dual RCA or 1/8" stereo.) A little more expensive, of course, but Headphile cables are very highly praised around here.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Ahhh, thanks Dixie! I *knew* there must be a better way, I just wasn't sure what kind of adapters were available and what would be most efficient. I'll look into the Headphile cable, but even the Radio Shack parts you listed would be an improvement over what I bought.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post and linking to the needed parts!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back