Best way to audition some good phones?
Sep 22, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 20
I was surprised to see that many of our local music stores that sell guitars, drums, etc. also have a good array of closed headphones. A few here is St. Louis have got AKG, BEYER , and SENN> including the ever present SONYS (7506 & v6.)
One such store is MARS music which is a national chain.
Good luck.

Sep 22, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 20
Mars is where I purchased my Sony MDR-7506 for $100 in 1996. The ones here do have a number of Sony and Sennheiser phones but do not stock Beyerdynamic. The guitar stores here have very little now--they used to have a fairly good Yamaha headphone (forgot the model number) but I no longer see them there either. I agree though, if you have a Mars in your area, it's a good place to stop in -- be aware that their headphones are typically driven from a portable CD player and a switcher behind the display, though.

Sep 22, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 20
RobertR and kelly:

Now why didn't I think of that?? I called every hi-fi store in the area, but didn't think about musician's stores. Perhaps because I'm much better at listening to music than playing it...
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have to go check some of the local music stores and see what they've got...

-Nadim

Sep 23, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #19 of 20
Come to think of it, I went to the Guitar Center in Concord and they stocked some AKGs, the Sony MDR-POS line, and some lower end Sennheiser. When I asked about the HD580 and HD600, they told me they could order them for me at........full MSRP!!

Sep 23, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

From JMT:
When I asked about the HD580 and HD600, they told me they could order them for me at........full MSRP!!

How incredibly magnanimous of them!
wink.gif

I called around a bunch of places, found some that carried AKG, lots of Senns and Grados, but no Beyerdynamic. I guess I'll have to write 250-80, 831, and 770 Pro on some scraps of paper, stick them on my dartboard, and proceed with "making a decision"...

-Nadim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back