Best Subwoofer under 600$?
Jun 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LowBeat

New Head-Fier
Good evening, I'm looking for a suitable, small, subwoofer for my Q Acoustics Concept 30 that produces a qualitative bass. It doesn't necessarily have to go very low, just be accurate if possible. Since I have a small apartment, I don't need a huge one. At first I thought of a KEF KC62, but then it was too expensive for me. Can you recommend me something?

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 9
I know you said $600, but that KEF is more than double that. Hands down the best sub for what you describe is the SVS Micro 3000... $900 Dual 8". It is what I have on my desktop 2.1 with bookshelf speakers. It puts out incredible quantity and quality. Now it is not a home theater earth quake, but that is not what you asked for. I looked at the REL equivalent, (T5x) but more money, and less features. For audio quality, it is impressive.

For $600, you can get the sealed SVS 1000. There is a reason SVS dominates the market. You simply can't beat them for quality and price. The app to adjust it from your couch is worth it alone. I took my micro 3000 over to my friends house to run on his main system in the living room with B&W 705 signatures. We were both amazed how well it went with them, just perfect. And we both have the sealed full size 3000... yes, that rattles my whole house... but the micro is amazing with a 2.1bookshelf system. I would not hesitate trying to find a used one.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 9
thank you for your opinion. But in Europe we talk about 800€-1100€ for the mentioned subwoofers and that is double what I would like to spend. The other thing is - I want a qualitative bass that shows its potential even at low volumes. I don't need someone who makes the room tremble, my neighbors don't want that either. I want quality bass that is "layered" and gives the music what the Concept 30 lacks. I don't want to spend more than $600 / €550

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Hummm... not sure why I thought the T5x was more... The REL T5x is $700 US. Not sure about there, they are British. REL is known for being "audiophile" approved. They use Class A amps instead of the typical Class D. You will find plenty more, more expensive than both I mentioned, but you will not find better under. Problem is... and I have been there, under a $1000 you are not going to get anything with serious audio quality. Under a $1000 is mostly for those that want loud... meaning crappy... room shakers. KEF makes great small subs, B&W has a nice one... but again, more expensive. Between the REL T5x, and the SVS Micro 3000, I don't think you can find better at that price, and it is a sharp drop off in quality of bass for less.

https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-tx/t-5x/

https://www.svsound.com/products/3000-micro-subwoofer

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 9
would the SVS SB 1000 be a good price for around $430? or can you think of a better one for the same money or a little more? or a slightly worse one that costs less? Unfortunately, I don't know much about subwoofers

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 9
I got the SVS SB 1000 including SVS Sound Path feet for $390 including shipping. Thanks for the tip. I own a Yamaha AS 501 receiver and a Musician Pegasus Dac. Is it possible to connect the subwoofer directly to the DAC? if so, which input of the DAC do I use for this

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 9
I got the SVS SB 1000 including SVS Sound Path feet for $390 including shipping. Thanks for the tip. I own a Yamaha AS 501 receiver and a Musician Pegasus Dac. Is it possible to connect the subwoofer directly to the DAC? if so, which input of the DAC do I use for this
Nice. It is all the sub you need.

No, you need to use your sub out on your receiver.

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks again for your help! It's a shame, the Dac keeps surprising me and I was hoping that it would work wonders with a subwoofer too.

Are there certain settings on the subwoofer that I should make in order to get the best possible potential out of it. like the controls?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 9
Well you would have to feed the dac a signal and output it to the receiver. I actually got a integrated so I could listen to my Pontus on my speakers too. You are driving your speakers off the Yamaha right?

Just follow the directions and be willing to try moving the sub around to find the right spot. Most subs sound like crap because of the room, not the sub. If the sub is by the speakers, it is not so much a problem. If the sub is away, and so are you, then adjust the phase to where the sub sounds like it is between the speakers. I usually have my sub up a bit which means it should be 20 hz above where your speakers end. When you get it right you should never notice your sub, it should just be music coming from your speakers, and you should be amazed how low they play. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back