"best sounding" brand for an optical audio cables
Oct 12, 2001 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 19
would the cable b "screwed" if u shine like a mega bright spot light on it if the cable is translucent
smily_headphones1.gif

O.o

Oct 12, 2001 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 19
In my line of work I deal with many fiber jumpers and they are not all the same! (Granted I don’t use them for audio since I think that the Toslink system is flawed and you can get much more consistent results using the coaxial out) Now my fiber jumpers carry a spectrum of signals that is magnitudes times greater in bandwidth than that of audio, but I have seen and measured optical losses that were the same but yielded very different results. We deal with video quality (and now data integrity with the advent of cable modems and VOD) here and I can easily see the difference between a good jumper and a bad one that has the same light loss. (And yes the difference between the two is reflections within the cable.) Here is a good experiment to try with your optical cables. While listening to a well known piece of music, take the digital cable and carefully bend the cable in your hand. (not a sharp bend please! do it around your finger or something bigger. I don’t want flames from those who said Bootman made me ruin my cables!) You should be able to notice that the sound will change. (good or bad!)

Oct 12, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 19
lol, I see tweakers putting bends at specific points in their optical cables to get a better sounding recording already
biggrin.gif

Jude, step AWAY from the cable!

Oct 12, 2001 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
Jude, step AWAY from the cable!

Set it down slowly and take two steps back with your hands behind your head.....I have these cheap earbuds pointed right at your head so dont make a false move or SCREECH....SKRAAAK.....MUAHHAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back