Best Soundcard for music and gaming..
Aug 22, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 25
Audigy2 and emu's still have driver conflicts at the time of this writing. You can't guarantee how much trouble one would have using those 2 in the same system. Some people have had no probs and others had hell.

If you only need stereo out for gaming, I don't see why an emu by itself is bad. I have no issues with speed on my 3.2ghz P4 and 9800 Pro. Although this is still fast-medium for gaming for tomorrow it will be middle end.

Aug 23, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Audigy2 and emu's still have driver conflicts at the time of this writing. You can't guarantee how much trouble one would have using those 2 in the same system. Some people have had no probs and others had hell.

If you only need stereo out for gaming, I don't see why an emu by itself is bad. I have no issues with speed on my 3.2ghz P4 and 9800 Pro. Although this is still fast-medium for gaming for tomorrow it will be middle end.

I have read that the driver conflicts can be resolved if you are careful. I believe that you have to install the audigy first, and make sure you have the newest drivers. Then, you need to insert the E-MU, once you reboot, you cancel the windows automatic hardware update prompts, then you install the E-MU drivers straight from the included disc.

And yes, the world of computer technology is still a dog eat dog world. Everything moves so fast that the newest technology is only new for a matter of weeks. Thats one reason that most hardware junkies who are somewhat frugal will never buy the top of the line video cards. The best way to do it is to buy a card that can do everything pretty well, but is not top of the line, that way, you wont be spending $600 every 6 months in order to have the very best framerates.

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 25
Audigy 2. It's EAX is beatiful (and fast) compared to the competition. Playing Thief 3 on it is a revelation. And using spdif you can plug it into something with a better dac.

Aug 30, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 25
Yeah, I play games fairly often but I'm not overly picky about the sound effects in game. Although I have yet to use one, I would think any of the emu cards would be fine for stereo only gaming, provided there were no issues with the drivers and the game.

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #21 of 25
im thinking of getting a dual card setup, chaintech and audigy 2 but i dont really wanna shell out the money for an audigy if the chaintech will do the job gamming wise, meaning it doesnt hog cpu cycles and will get decent fps on games like doom 3 and ut2k4. anyone have any experience with the chaintech card and gamming? im more interested in fps and not the best audio quality money can buy when it comes to games.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by slpnsld
im thinking of getting a dual card setup, chaintech and audigy 2 but i dont really wanna shell out the money for an audigy if the chaintech will do the job gamming wise, meaning it doesnt hog cpu cycles and will get decent fps on games like doom 3 and ut2k4. anyone have any experience with the chaintech card and gamming? im more interested in fps and not the best audio quality money can buy when it comes to games.

The Audigy 2 will definitley outperform the Chaintech when it comes to gaming, but I wouldn't worry too much about the Chaintech affecting your fps. As long as you have a decent computer, it shouldn't be much of an issue. And if you can run Doom 3 and UT2K4, I'm assuming that you do have a fairly modern computer...

Basically, any newer P4 or Athlon XP/Athlon 64 system should be able to handle the Chaintech with ease without the user worrying about a significant performance loss in games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back