Best set-up specifically for CS:GO
Oct 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

boogiewoogiewu

New Head-Fier
I've been having some frustrations with not being able to hear as much as my buddies lately in CS:GO and feel that it's time to finally sort it out, the lack of positional audio I have right now is incredibly irritating. At times it's actually more effective to have other people describe to me what they're hearing than actually listen myself. 

I'm a complete noob in the world of audio, I've spent a lot of time researching online but haven't really come to any decent conclusion.

My current setup is:

Sennheiser HD600's , which were kind of a hand me down, they are sub-optimal without an amp and this could be a contributor.
P8Z77 V-Pro mobo all I know about the onboard audio is what it says on the site; Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC.

I would preferably like to make use of the 600's because I think they sound pretty nice, I'm sure that is going to infuriate a lot of you considering I have no amp with 320ohm headphones. In order to make them more effective in-game I would imagine that I would need a sound card and an amp.

Regardless of what I do I'm probably going to need a sound card, so far the two most prominent choices seem to be:

ASUS Essence STX (or STX II, didn't really see much difference?)
Creative X-FI Titanium HD

The STX does have a headphone amp built in whereas the X-FI doesn't, I've been able to determine that for certain, whether the built in amp of the STX is any good I wouldn't know, people seem to be leaning in favour of the X-FI for gaming.

Here are the options that I've put on a short list, I don't really want to spend more than I have to:

HD600s + STX
HD600s + Amp + X-FI

Audio Technica AD700x + X-FI ( Don't think that would need an amp , low impedance?)
AKG Q701 + X-FI ( Would it need an amp?)
AKG Q701 + STX (Amp problem solved but would the STX prove worse than the X-FI for positional audio?)

I'm not really sure what to go for here, the logical option seems to be to get some different cans rather than the 600's because getting an amp is going to rack up the ££ just as much as buying something more suitable would. I appreciate any input on what you think is the best solution, please consider COST. I'm sure I could get some badass amp for these 600's and all my problems may dissolve but realistically I wouldn't want to spend more than £120($200) on the amp side of things. I accept already that the card might cost about £140.

On a side note, if I ditch the 600's, do people actually buy used headphones? Ear pads are a bit tatty but cheap enough to replace from Sennheiser.

Anyway, thanks for reading, hopefully someone has some input I've read lots of threads here with some relevant information on this topic but nothing that was giving me a specific answer.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Some of the nicer sound cards can drove pretty high loads. Check their specs to see.

For amps check the fiio e09k. Price is good and they claim can drive up to 600 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back