Best Rechargeable Batteries?
Sep 16, 2001 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone help me out? I'm not in the mood to surf the Net for two days about batteries. I've been jamming AA batteries into my Total Airhead for a while now -- no complaints with battery life. really very pleased -- but I thought I'd give rechargeables a try. Can any help me out by sharing their experience with best type or brand they've had success with? Thanks.
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2001 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 12
I use GP batteries, got 4 1300 mAh and recently bought a pair of 1800 mAh. but, according to the guy at the shop, I will only be getting 1600 mAh or somethign out of em as there are no compatible chargers for 1800. (they're NiMH's BTW).

they all work great. not sure how long they last, I believe they did 4-5 hours with my Sharp sr50 mdp (which listed 6.5 hours on a single AA in the manual). so, I guess they're pretty good.

oh, and I use a Hapé charger, one that fits AA, AAA and 9V-'block' batteries.

Sep 18, 2001 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 12
I use the Rayovac rechargeable batteries. There are two lines of rechargeable batteries they sell. The more expensive line lasts a little longer and the life of the battery seems to be significantly longer. The cheaper line loses half its storage capacity after 40+ charges. However, all rechargeable batteries eventually die. To increase the life span of a battery, the battery should be discharged as much as possible before recharging. Expensive battery rechargers do this automatically, but I don't know any consumer level recharagers that do this.

Sep 19, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 12
best bang for buck for me was a huge pack of energizer nimh batteries + charger from costco. $10 for 8 aa, 4 aaa. they've lasted me two years and they still work really well.

Sep 19, 2001 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 12
I bought 2 GP 1400mah batteries but I haven't used them yet. I've been trying to kill my 3 year old Sony 1200mah proprietary battery pack. If I ever have to go on a long trip where I need more than the ~4 hours it still lasts I'll try the new batteries.

Sep 20, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 12
on 4 AA NiMH (1500 mAH) plus a vehicle charger for around $15. In an airhead a pair of these will last a long time. Matter of fact, the only way I ever run them down is by forgetting to turn the airhead off, which is about half the time. I figure that is why they call it the airhead
wink.gif

LithIons are great, but are 3.6 V per cell (or thereabouts). They don't translate to AA cells very well. NiMH are 1.2v, NiCd are 1.25, and lead acid start at 1.5v and drop continuously.

btw, I checked with Jan, and the porta Corda will have a power on LED! I don't know about the TAH, but my AH has no such vital feature.

Sep 20, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 12
ah, the PortaCorda still in production? was wondering how it was going. seemed to be almost finished some time ago.

Sep 20, 2001 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Last communique from Jan was that he was held up on a part (volume pot, maybe?). I have faith. The good Doktor is on a mission!

The real question; will he beat the Treo to market?

Sep 20, 2001 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 12
the treo? isn't that an mp3 player? the 100mW one
tongue.gif
? doesn't matter, I just want Jan to put it out as soon as I get money for it so I can be the first to get it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2001 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm not here to vouch for any particular brand/type of rechargeable battery; HOWEVER, Thomas Distributing is a really great place to buy chargers/batteries. Between all of us at the office here, we've probably bought well over 100 batteries and 5 chargers. They're top notch in terms of service and reliability.

Sep 21, 2001 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks Neil. I've been looking for those battery holders. They keep the AAs from getting together and starting a fire in my briefcase. (I hate when that happens).

Braver, I have been wondering how Jan was going to decide who is the most worthy of receiving the Porta-Corda in the first batch. I hope that he is building up a good supply of kits in anticipation of the initial frenzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back