"best" portable turntable???
Nov 26, 2008 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Doctorzzz

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post. Hopefully can get an answer or few...

I am looking to buy a portable turntable (battery) as a gift and there seems to be a few on the market and only a few. Unless more can be pointed out to me.

Numark PT01USB
ION iPTUSB
Crosley CR40
vestax handy trax

Pretty much all I could find. All are about $100, except vestax a bit more.

All seem to have the same look/design and the same features.

Out of the 4 the numark and Iion look to be the best imo. But I have no real knowledge of these portable turntables.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
same look/design and the same features.

Out of the 4 the numark and Iion look to be the best imo. But I have no real knowledge of these portable turntables.

To be honest these are all pretty crappy and not really any use for actually listening to music. The Vestax is the only one which is a professional product, but isn't designed for anything other than just quickly dropping the needle on records in fairs and 2nd hand shops, where they don't have this facility, to check out the odd white label pressing with no info on it.

The Numark and Ion are cheaper knock-offs of the same concept adding USB which is a complete waste of time as any recordings you could make off this thing would be of such appalling quality as to be practically useless for any conceivable application.

The Crosley is just a really cheap and nasty imitation which will sound worse than the vintage Fisher Price "toy" record player, actually just as good or better as any of the above.

FisherPriceRecordplayer1.jpg

Basically to get something which plays records tolerabley well, you really need to go back to the '80s craze for all things "walkman" sized.

Sound Burger: Vintage Portable Turntable - Retro Thing

The Audio Technica "Soundburger" is surprisingly capable and of course Sony made a good few of these things, the best being the really cool PS-F5 and PS-F9 Sony Global - Sony Design - History - 1980s

These are all battery powered with headphone slots, then there is the lovely little PS-Q3/5/7 "Heli" series Sony PS-Q7 & Heli on TVK
which actually sound really good, and were designed for use with Boom Boxes / portable "Micro" systems. These are all becoming quite collectible obviously so will be a nice present.

If you want something really cool and retro then look for a Dansette or similar 1960s gramophone, which will actually sound quite nice for what it is, if in good condition, but bear in mind "portable" back then meant something like a heavy suitcase.
pink.jpg

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there really portable turntables? I mean, can I take one on my daily bus trips for some listens?

portable in the sense of easily moved rather than something you could easily listen to one the move...

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
hi. I am looking to purchase one too. I fell in love with the Crosley but the more I'm looking and reading about it, the more I don't want to get it. Back in my DJ days, Numark was the best.... just saying.... I'm looking into that now too ! Hope that helps a little.... 
Only1ava

Users who are viewing this thread

Back