Best MUSIC SERVER: WEISS 301, Aurender, LUMIN.... ? HELP !
Nov 6, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #151 of 161
Not to confuse matters further, I wrote this review on the Lampizator DSD Komputer music server, which I love using with the Lampizator Lite 7 DAC in my system:

http://ayllonmedia.com/news/the-lampizator-dsd-komputer-an-audio-expo-in-your-living-room-or-not

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #154 of 161
For those using a Lumin (D1, T1, A1 or S1) with speakers, is a preamp needed, or can it be hooked up to speakers? Then control the volume digitally through the iPad app. Also, how would one connect two subwoofers into it? Through the RCA outs (assuming I would use the XLR outs to connect to Amp).

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #155 of 161
I'm on the precipice of trying a Bridge 2 card in my directstream dac, to run roon into it, vs feeding it from my Aurender X100L- don;t get me wrong, I like the Aurender quite a bit, but the integration Roon offers is very enticing. Anyone have any ears-on experience as to whether there is an alternative to the bridge 2 , at or below its price, that would be better as Roon endpoint?

Sep 23, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #156 of 161
I'm a huge fan of the Bridge II, more so in concept than execution as I no longer have a DirectStream here to listen to. But I think Roon integration is a huge benefit. As much as I enjoyed the Aurender gear and think they do an excellent job, I've moved on from them due to the lack of Roon support.

There's always the SOtM sMS-200 which comes in priced lower than the Bridge II (at msrp, at least). Not sure how an sMS-200 with stock PSU would compare to a bridge though. I know with a nice linear PSU the SOtM is exceptional, but then again the price equals or exceeds the Bridge II, so.... that's perhaps not so helpful.

There's also the microRendu, and even going with a Raspberry Pi solution. Again, not sure how these would stack up in terms of SQ, but there's some money to be saved.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #157 of 161
Totally thought I posted this a while back, but I now realize I did not. Time to fix that right now!

I've been incredibly pleased with a new music server I got a few months back. It's the Zenion server - a custom silent PC running the Euphony operating system. I use it as a Roon server but it can also operate as a Roon endpoint, or MPD mode, or Squeezelite, and maybe some others that I'm forgetting. At $999 it's a spectacular performer, right up there with Aurender units costing many times as much.

Things get even better with a power supply upgrade. I'm using a Keces P8 linear PSU and the resulting sound approaches - dare I say it - world-class. I probably wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it for myself, but this thing clearly outperforms my Aurender X100L for less than half the price. Don't get me wrong, I still quite like Aurender, but the lack of Roon support is a big deal for me. The Zenion gives me Roon (server or endpoint) in a silent package, for a lower price, and with potential for better SQ. What's not to love?

I'll have more on the Zenion once I find the time for a formal writeup. Just wanted to throw it out there for now, in case anyone is looking for a killer music server with a relatively low price.

DSCF4602.jpg
DSCF4603.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #159 of 161
Can this be used without a NAS?

Yes, it's got an internal SSD to hold your library, or you can add USB storage as needed. It's just a matter of pointing the system to where you have your music - easy enough to do whether using the native Euphone OS or Roon.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #161 of 161
Hi, i m very interested in totaldac d1 server.
Any one compared it to aurender n10( wich i tested it in my system)
One reviewer compared it 3 years ago with 4 other servers including n10, and says it is in the same league but n10 gave bigger soundstage!
I need some clarifications cause i feel i m puuling the trigger soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back