Best Music for Alertness
Jan 17, 2005 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tk_suki

100+ Head-Fier
This was presented as a topic on the weekly Japanese health show. Among other things like green tea is good for concentration guess which music according to their less than scientific test yielded best results?

oops, please move to members lounge. tia.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk_suki
This was presented as a topic on the weekly Japanese health show. Among other things like green tea is good for concentration guess which music according to their less than scientific test yielded best results?

oops, please move to members lounge. tia.

Slayer, "South of Heaven" Great for alertness.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Its not exactly music, but it will definitely work: Binaural beats.

Your brainwaves frequencies have been shown to correspond to mental states. If you listen to, for example, a 300hz tone in one ear and 305hz in the other, the interference will manifest as a 5hz brainwave inducing the corresponding mental state (I think 5hz is theta or deep-thought). Its been a while, but I think you're looking for beta at about 7hz. If you use windows, there used to be a freeware program called Brainwave Generator made specifically for this purpose. I've been planning for years to produce music that takes advantage of this effect- hopefully someday
etysmile.gif

A note: you might be skeptical that this works- be careful anyway. It made me forget to breathe once and I nearly blacked out.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by momerath
Its not exactly music, but it will definitely work: Binaural beats.

Your brainwaves frequencies have been shown to correspond to mental states. If you listen to, for example, a 300hz tone in one ear and 305hz in the other, the interference will manifest as a 5hz brainwave inducing the corresponding mental state (I think 5hz is theta or deep-thought). Its been a while, but I think you're looking for beta at about 7hz. If you use windows, there used to be a freeware program called Brainwave Generator made specifically for this purpose. I've been planning for years to produce music that takes advantage of this effect- hopefully someday
etysmile.gif

A note: you might be skeptical that this works- be careful anyway. It made me forget to breathe once and I nearly blacked out.

interesting :O

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
interesting :O

I'll second that. I had heard very low freqs affect brain functions, but this is completely new to me. Wonder if I could kill a chicken using headphones. Err, nevermind I said that.
eek.gif

This is OT, but: asmox, which shard are (were?) you playing on?

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
This is OT, but: asmox, which shard are (were?) you playing on?

i played on atlantic from '97 till shortly after the infamous patch and the implementation of felucca/trammel. at that point, i pretty much lost hope in OSI and went the way of player-run shards. i played on several for varying lengths of time.. including the alter realm, novus opiate, imperium boreas, and in por ylem (and probably a few others that weren't very memorable, so i don't remember their names).

i finally quit uo around last summer, but it's still the greatest mmorpg ever :O

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 8
There's a cd out by Harry Oldfield called "crystal"
It's out of print but still attainable.
http://www.electrocrystal.com/csound.html

"...Harry even found that gloomy living and working environments changed for the better when crystal sounds were generated into them. He qualifies this when he says that 'this last statement is, of course, a subjective one, but, when we are dealing with subtle energies such as these, some subjectivity might reasonably be included."

jd

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 8
I heard a few years ago in tv
that in some hospitals (USA maybe)
they used soft music with small metalic instruments.
They said research had showed it was
the best to be used for slowly waking people up,
after prolonged surgery.

They played a little of it and i liked it.
Looked like New Age music.

My two cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back